Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Feb 28, 2004, 4:04 AM   #1

Default What caused this?

Back when I first got my camera, and I was checking out different settings. I put the camera in night scene mode, layed it flat on the ground, lens pointing straight up, and snapped 4 seperate pictures with the remote. I wasn't too far from town, so there was some light polution from the city lights, and the stars wasn't as bright as they would be in the country. There was nothing but clear sky in the cameras view. No tree limbs, powerlines, or anything like that. The first 3 shots produced dark skies, with several stars, and a few hot pixels. The 4th shot produced this. This is straight out of the camera with no post adjustments, other than downsizing it by half.

I have taken many night sky shots since, and this has never happened again. What caused this? What is it?
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2004, 5:45 AM   #2

It's some kind of light. Either you moved the camera or the light sources moved.
It's def. not stars, but could be an aeroplane with a drunk pilote on board or perhaps UFO with drunken aliens. (but who knows ) :lol:

Could be anything Jack - couldn't it ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:30 AM   #3

maybe fireworks?
looks like fireworks.....right before they disappear and then explode.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:33 AM   #4

Klaus, I don't see how the camera could have moved, as I use remote control shutter, and I didn't see any drunken pilots or aliens. Maybe elves inside my camera, but I've never noticed any cookie crumbs. :roll:
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:11 AM   #5

It was ironic meant Jack. BTW a remote cord or wireless is not ness. a safety for not having any camera vibrations.

:lol:
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:58 AM   #6

Jack, what time of year? could these be lightning bugs?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 4:47 PM   #7

Tom, I don't recall the exact time of year, but I do know it was warm enough for lightning bugs to have been out. I don't think that's it though. It was a clear sky, and I didn't see any lightning bugs, aircraft, or fireworks. What's puzzling is that there are no stars in this pic like the 3 pics shot just before this. Even though I did trigger the shutter with a wireless remote, I know the auto focus and IS could have caused a vibration. I just wouldn't think it would be this drastic. Another weird thing is that the squiggly lines have very simular bends to one another, but are not exactly the same.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 6:41 PM   #8

Was there any wind? If no wind, how long was the exposure? If it was several seconds, which I think it should be, is there a possibility of insects walking or flying just above the lense. Were there any falling or blowing leaves?
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:27 PM   #9

Calr, there was little or no wind. Not sure of exact exposure time, but no more than 5 seconds. If it were any kind of insect, it would have to be a lightning bug, because whatever it is, is producing the light source. I didn't use a flash, and the only lights that could be seen where the camera was pointing, was stars.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 12:40 AM   #10

Default Re: What caused this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Nickelless
What caused this? What is it?
The near-parallel shape of the tracks is strongly suggestive of camera movement. I don't suppose the camera lay on the ground near a table on which there was an ashtray? A smoker rests elbow on table and taps off ash into ashtray. Impulse transmitted to camera through the ground causing slight shift of camera as one or two glowing sparks hang around in field of view.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote