Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:22 PM   #1

Default Diffuser test

well....i found about the most reflective surface i could find......and took a couple pictures......one diffused with a single piece of paper.....one diffused with a white t-shirt.....and one with lower exposure without a diffuser.....
here they are....all use ISO 50 and a f8.0 arperture.....

no diffuser with 2"5 shutter

paper diffuser with 6" shutter

t-shirt dffuser with 6" shutter

oh yeah...this picture (with the t-shirt) i moved the "subject" over a bit.....
but as you can see the t-shirt worked the best....cut out the "harshness" of the light

that is all.....i've learned a lot

hopefully this will help others too......
if you didn't see the thread i was given this assignment i didn't understand how a diffuser would cut out highlights....(stupid me lol)
so i was told to test it out
thanks barbara
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:01 PM   #2

And thank YOU, Vito. What was the light source, by the way? Did you use a single layer or a double layer of t-shirt?

This makes me wonder what would happen if, say, a lightly colored fabric were used: pink or tan or mint green or whatever. Guess it's time I did some tests too.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:14 PM   #3

lol i was thinking of that when i couldn't find a white t-shirt.......i almost used a olive green shirt lol!

the light source was one 15 watt bulb in a lamp (i have a picture of it with the tshirt on it in the evidence thread...)

and it had the t-shirt "double layered" over it well the front and the back of the t-shirt were on it....so if that counts as one or two
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:30 PM   #4

You didn't lay the t-shirt directly on the bulb, did you? Besides being a fire hazard, this would be, at the very least, a scorching experience for the shirt. You didn't do this. Say you didn't do this.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:35 PM   #5

lol not on the bulb.....the light is a little lamp that you can clamp (i guess that is the best word to describe it lol) it on to stuff.....and it has a metal shade.....it was a bit warm after i was done....but it wasn't touching the bulb.....thanks for the warning though lol
Old Mar 7, 2004, 3:28 PM   #6

Okay, I finally did my own tests in a more stable environment: camera on tripod, cable release connected, setup on the pool table, which you and I both know isn't about to move anytime soon what with all that slate weighing it down.

I took a large, shallow cardboard box, cut a window into it, than clamped a double layer of bed sheet onto it. In the lamp, I used one of those new GE "Reveal" bulbs that's coated to reduce the yellow-orange tinge of incandescent light. And then there were those darned pearls that insist on glowing all over the place:

Below are the three pictures I took. The first is without any glare reduction, the second is with that double layer of sheet, and the third is with four layers of sheet:

It turned out that the differences, though there, were really subtle. Two layers of sheet just weren't enough, and that's why added two more layers.

Other than the fact that the light absolutely must be diffused for shiny objects, I've concluded that pearls are not easy to photograph at all.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:53 PM   #7

lol sounds right
i think they'd be pretty boring by themselves too......

i might want to try that box thing.....great idea btw....