Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:27 AM   #1

Default The ship

I always have problem to decide how to take a photo of a huge object so that i can generate the right feeling by only showing a part of it....it is like having so much to say but you have to condense it in few words....
One could argue though, that a picture is worth a thousand words....
What do you think about this photo? does it work?

pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:19 AM   #2

Ah! The Cutty Sark, a beautiful ship. I can empathize with your dilema. In this case, I don't think you have accomplished your mission. All that rigging makes the picture too busy. Maybe, if you try to concentrate on one mast and including part of the hull as you have done. Also, a more traditional approach, shooting from the bow, including the above elements might be better.

Where is that ship located? I would love to take a try at it, myself.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:19 AM   #3

Thanks for your comment! the ship is located in Greenwich, London my next attempt will be to go there at night when is all lit up!and try some long exposures.
i ve taken more pictures from other angles as well, i ll post a couple more so you can tell me if you like them more
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:50 PM   #4

Pavaros,
Yes, it is a bit busy and you're trying to get the rigging and the boat in the same shot . That's difficult. Try either one and see what happens.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:59 PM   #5

If that ship is afloat, you may have trouble with long night exposures. On the other hand, the results might be interesting. Any ship, no matter how big or stable, will have some movement if it is in the water. I am anxious to see your results.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:42 AM   #6

A nice post : and a great dilemma for most of the people here !
I think people with SLR can use wideangle lenses more easily than compact camera people do

There is no need however to take the whole subject.
But, and this is my opinion, the most important things of what you shoot at shoud not be cropped !

I mean, of course you cannot show the whole ship but your composition is nice and strong and the fact that you are missing the after deck is not so noticeable and important.

What I think is a pity is having cropped the top of the mast and the right part.

This is what makes really a sense of amputation , to a much greater extent than ship body on left bottom part.( btw had you cropped the S of the Cutty Sark I would have felt the amputation though)

What can you do then ?
Pay attention to the important elements that shoudn't be cropped : in your case maybe moving some steps backwards would have solved the problem.
If there is no place where to move why not trying a panorama ?
Photostich programs are not only meant to make horizontal panoramas: they can be both vertical and matrix based (2x2), even if the complexity of managing them increases very rapidly :
( I once tried a 3x3 photostich and was not that cool : http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...286&highlight= )
I would not suggest this method however if u shoot at architectures (perspective deformations can be hard, if not impossible, to manage in some cases ).

You can also try patient photo surgeries : this means take a main shot with the main composition elements and take other shots of the missing parts on the boundaries, and assemble pieces you are missing in your editor program.
Takes patience but sometimes it works :
The top of the castle was missing in this night shot :
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=62544#62544
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=62545#62545
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:13 PM   #7

Hmmmm....perhaps you could try shooting from the water as long as your shutter speed was about 1/100 or faster.

or...try a wide angle lens?
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 3:33 PM   #8

Thanks for your comments!
the problem with this ship is that it is not in the water! it is located in the middle of greenwich and so so busy throught the day (people around and on the ship) that is difficult to take a shot without people in it.
the next photo demonstrates that:

I ve tried to find a nice angle to include the whole ship in, but it wasnt dramatic enough..so i ve decided to include just a part of it..but which part? :roll:

may be i should try photo stitching as sergio suggested!

by the way sergio, your picture of the castle is lovely!!
i ve lived in italy for 3 years but never visited ferrara! i think this photo gonna make me come this year!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:20 AM   #9

You can use one pano stitching technique without doing a pano. Put your camera on a tripod far enough back to include the whole ship. Then shoot several/many shots without moving the camera. Put those into your photo editor as layers and erase the bits with people in them so a lower layer without people at that spot shows through. Since the ship doesn't move, it will be in the same place in every photo so will match between shots.

You want to shoot at a time when the light level is not changing rapidly, i.e., avoid partly cloudy days and sunrise/sunset.

Won't work with really big crowds, but should work just fine with the density of folks in your shot.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
.... Then shoot several/many shots without moving the camera. Put those into your photo editor as layers and erase the bits with people in them so a lower layer without people at that spot shows through. Since the ship doesn't move, it will be in the same place in every photo so will match between shots.
This forum is great for new ideas. Thanks for the info Bill!
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote