Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:55 PM   #11

I like the original best. The composition is good. The lighting and contrast is good. The color of the ballast and surrounding ground represent what is actually there, not what someone wants it to be.

I believe a photograph should tell the truth. I was a film photographer for many years before I got into digital. It really bothers me the extent to which people are editing their digital photos. I agree that cropping and adjusting light/darkness, or contrast are legitimate touchup techniques. However, when it comes to editing elements of the photo, I draw the line. If you are altering the image with "art" filters and changing colors, the resulting art (it's no longer a photograph) belongs in the digital art forum, not a photography forum.

I know that some of you have never learned the concept that the photo should be correct BEFORE hitting the shutter release. If you have done your job properly, no post-processing except enlarging and printing is required. The digital camera has brought with it the new philosophy of "shoot the picture and fix it later on the computer" That is not photography.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 4:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calr
The digital camera has brought with it the new philosophy of "shoot the picture and fix it later on the computer" That is not photography.
I strongly disagree with you. Editing on the computer is something that digital photography has provided and many people intelligently take advantage of that. What difference does it make if the picture is correct before or after the shutter is released? The final result is the only part that is important. You used to only be able to frame a scene, but now you are able to express your idea of what a picture should be using techniques that weren't possible in film photography. Yes, I could have just posted the original picture as it came out of the camera, but that's not how I saw the picture. I wanted to emphasize the color of the rails and give them contrast agains a desaturated background. How would that even be possible in "true, unedited" photography. It wouldn't.

Simply put, editing and digital photography in general have brought a new level to our artform. If you were around many years ago you would probably have been shunning the use of color photography because it takes away from the original artform. Advancement is good, it hasn't killed photography, it has only given it infinitely more possiblities.
JaroDefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:42 PM   #13

ok this is wat i think

you should get the best picture AS your taking it.....if you want to do stuff like jaro just did....there is no problem with it.....desaturating in areas isn't taking away from the photography itself..just helping to simplify the picture......makes the subject stand out.....

so changing the picture on the computer might not be showing how it was in real life....but it is kinda another form of art.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:08 PM   #14

Two very opposite schools of thought. I have heard the arguments of both, and I agree with both... to an extent!
As you may have noticed, JaroDefer said the focus was on the purpose of the picture, NOT the editing. That (I am assuming) is why he posted it here. As far as being pure with pictures and photography, I have seen people do some pretty wacky stuff with conventional film and prints, as well as digital editing. I think if a picture is edited to the point it no longer becomes a photograph, it should not be called so.
In this case, I think a little color manipulation doesnt hurt anything.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 7:39 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm not putting this in the Digital Art forum (even though it should probably be in there) because the main focus is the picture, not the editing.
I perfectly agree on this !

Quote:
What difference does it make if the picture is correct before or after the shutter is released?
As far as I'm concerned the only difference I see is having a better material to start working with.
However, when I say better material, I just mean it from the technical point of view :
- If the final composition after a crop is only 20% of the original area you will not have enough resolution
- if u over/under expose too much there will be a lot of missing tones when u will adjust levels
- if your shot is too grainy/blurred there is no miracle software to get the shot perfectly detailed, crisp and sharp if u really wanted it that way.

The discussion about purism has emerged several times in this forum ( as well as in most photography magazines ! ).

Since my point of view has not changed in the meanwhile I quote what I replied once ago :
Quote:
In any case there is no point in not using PhotoShop at all.

It is just another expressive tool u have at your disposal like a wideangle lenses or shutter speed : the only difference is that this are tools to be used before shooting while the other ( chemical darkroom included ) are tools used after shooting ( like deciding if u want to print on a matte or glossy paper, to have the most trivial expample ).

And so ?

When it is your brain that actively partecipate to the process it makes no difference for me the tools u use cause at the end what does really matter are your ideas and your tool knowledge and skills that are needed to turn out that lonely idea in your mind into something real that can be shared to other people.

Italian Artist Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1504, the author of the David Statue in Florence) once said :
"The masterpiece is already inside the murble block. The task of the artist is the remove the stuff around it".

Well, I perfectly agree with him and going back to your considerations I would say that I would not care if he had used a Black&Decker instead of a hammer and a chisel when creating the David
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=18144

BTW : nice shot/elab JaroDefer
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 10:58 AM   #16

Gentlemen (and Ladies, if present), I see both side of the equation. I will continue to get the picture as good as I can in the camera as that is what I was taught to do. However, I concede that some color correction and exposure correction is OK.

On the other hand the "artsy" filters that are in some of the photo editing programs make me want to barf! Some of the effects make a picture like it was run over by a steam roller, sandblasted until nothing was left and then had paint spilled on it. :twisted: :twisted: Where is my Alka-Seltzer.

There are many facets and purposes for photography, regardless of the media. I, for one like realism. Others like impressionism, etc. There is nothing wrong with that. So go out and do the best at what you like to do and I will do the same. I may not like what you do and you may not like what I do but we're different people and that's OK. :P :P
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:07 AM   #17

that is a very true point, this picture can be called more "impressionistic".......btw....wat does "impressionistic" and "abstract" actually mean?
i've kinda figured abstract was just random strokes and shapes that look cool.....and impressionistic as the same basic thing with a little more "realism".....
i wish i could find my dictionary.....lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote