Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old May 21, 2004, 2:07 AM   #1

Well i know my pics are nothing special at all. Ive been browsing this page for a few days now and this site is the reason i purchased my A75. Some of the pics here on this forum are amazing. Makes me want to go out and just start shooting. Well i took these pics tonight around 11:30pm here in michigan. Both are 15 sec exposures at f-2.8 _ iso 50. I dont like how bright both pics are and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how i can get the background a little darker. Im a newbie at all this so im trying to learn.Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
Attached Images

mark966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 2:07 AM   #2

2nd pic
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2004, 12:39 PM   #3

Lightning is one of the more difficult subjects to shoot since it is totally unpredictable. Your pictures are a little overexposed. That can be fixed somewhat in your photo editor by increasing the contrast and reducing the brightness. In the camera, I would recommend stopping down the lens by at least one f-stop (higher number). If your camera accepts a cable release or remote cord, and has a "B" (bulb) setting on shutter speed I would try the following. Point the camera in the general direction where you thing the lightning will be. Use full manual exposure control. Set the aperture for about f16. Attach the cable or remote cord to the camera. Press the remote button and lock it down. In "B" mode, the shutter remains open until the shutter is released. Once the lightning flash has occured, release the shutter. You may need to experiment with the f-stop. Use ISO100 if available.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 1:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. Another storm is coming again tonight and im gonna try once more. My camera has a "Manual" mode which i can basically set my setting however i would like. I can set my ISO manually from 50-400, f2.8_f-8,and up to a 15 second exposure.No bulb mode.I didnt have alot of time last night to experiment since the storms came in so fast. Hopefully tonight i will get some better shots.Thanks again.
Old May 21, 2004, 3:01 PM   #5

your setting options are the same as mine ( a G3)
I've recently captured some decent shots. I tried setting to a 15 sec exposure and guessing. but that wasn't very succesfull. mostly because the lightning that night was sporatic. I have had some succes by shooting on continuous mode until the buffer is full. you'll take a lot of pics, but if they're pics of a black sky they won't take much space in memory. The last time I did this I fit about 300 shots on a 128mb card.
If you are interested, you can see my lightning pics here

http://www.photozo.com/album/showgal...hen=&whenterm=
Tbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 4:48 PM   #6

Tbel,

My camera is a Canon PowerShot a75. A G3 is a Canon if im correct? I used the "Zoom Browser" software that came with my camera that lets me use a remote mode in which i can view my live video on my laptop, instead of the lcd. Also it saves the pictures to the laptop instead of the memory card. Very nice. I used a converted telescope Equatorial mountas a tripod and just used my laptop and pointed the camera at the sky and started taking pics. The zoom browser also let you set up in manual mode so you can manually adjust your settings. I just set it on timer and took about50 continous 15 second pictures. Worked great for me as i am a novice.This is my first digicam and first time experimenting with the manual settings.

If your camera (g3) didnt not come with the Zoombrowser software there is a software out there called "Psremote" that will work with your g3.Its basically the same thing as the zoom broswer with maybe a few different features.

Here is the link- http://www.breezebrowser.com/PSRemote/index.htm

Well thanks and goodluck. Also i looked at your pics they are quite nice i would say better then mine.Lightning is very fun to shoot and kinda scary at times,lol.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:49 PM   #7

which zoombrowser is that? i have Zoombrowser EX...it came with my G2....that would be a nice little feature there! i have a "remote capture" software too..but i'm not sure you save it to the computer or not.....

nice shots

the seconds one's exposure is abou perfect....if only the bolt went up and down instead of sideways....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 6:10 AM   #8

photosbyvito,

My Software is Zoombrowser EX - Version 4.6.0.32. Incase your not sure how to check your version go to the "Help" when Zoombrowser is open and then "ABout Zoombrowser". Yea mine saves my photos right to "My pictures" in My Documents folder on the desktop. In my software it lets me choose where i want to save the pictures at. If you go to the "Camera" option at the top the zoombrowser when its open and then go to the "Auto-download settings" There you will have option on where to save and such.I hope that helps.If you have a different version maybe you could download a different version from the canon website.But if you read on steves review of the g3 it says that it saves the images to harddrive for instant use when using the zoombrowser. Your version does look a little different then mine on his review page.

I spent a few hours tonight trying to get some better pics but i had no luck.For some reason the lightning that i capture seems to like to go across the sky instead of to the ground.But i did get a chance to try a all the setting and see what works best.So tonight was not wasted.Trying to capture lightning is definatly addicting.
Old May 23, 2004, 1:40 AM   #9

Tonight i had a chance to take a few shots. This is the best one out of the bunch.
Attached Images