Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:24 AM   #1

This is my mom's chandelier, as seen through a cross-rainbow filter, I thought it was a cool effect. It looks like little rainbows all over the place because of all the different light sources....

Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:26 AM   #2

that's awesome! i've never heard of that filter! very cool!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks! It's a screw-on filter made by Kenko. I got it in a box of filters I bought from a guy off ebay. It's a pretty cool filter to play around with, although if you take a picture of a single light source, the effect isn't nearly as pronounced.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 3:36 PM   #4

that is a cool effect Guitarman!

You say its made by Kenko... have you got any other stuff made by them ? I ask because I've been looking at teleconverters for my Nikon, and they seem to produce some pretty cheap ones against Sigma and Nikon....

are they any good ? Are they a well known firm ? (I haven't heard of them before a few weeks ago, but I've only recently started taking photography a bit more seriously)

Cheers. Jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:11 PM   #5

I haven't heard very good things about their teleconverters, but I know that a lot of them are made for camcorders instead of digital photos, so they're made for less resolution. Not all of them are, however, so the ones they make for photos might be ok. Still, my experience is that you get what you pay for when it comes to add-on lenses. The Kenko filters I have are screw-on type (52mm) made for a 35mm film camera. I have a Kenko #3 macro filter that I got with this bunch of filters, but I am yet to try it out.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:37 PM   #6

I like the effect. I think Cokin has such a filter for their system. As for the picture, I think it would have been much better if you had closed the drapes in the background or shot it at night. The outdoor view distracts from your subject.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:20 PM   #7

Yeah, you're right about the window. This was the first time I tried it, other than taking a picture of a candle. I just thought it was very cool how the multiple light sources made the filter see things. I'll probably try to take this one again down the road with the curtain closed, and in as dark a situation as I can make it, just to see how much more effect the filter would have.

I dunno if Cokin has one of these filters or not, but I also ended up with a Cokin basic filter system in this auction of stuff I got, and their orange filter for black and white contrast makes a huge difference if you use the black and white mode in your camera, I really like it.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:56 PM   #8

Hoya also have these filters.I have the screw on type for my Fuji 602 zoom.They work well.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote