Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:50 PM   #1

We were literally about 50 yards from where they were setting these off, which made for a great view, but it made most of the larger fireworks bigger than full screen. I could have done a little better from a bit farther away. Still, I thought these are pretty good for my first attempt. I had the camera in scene position mode so I could set it for night time, and I was taking photos in 5 frame bursts, which worked pretty well for getting at least one decent shot of a firework.

I really liked that last one, it was some sort of a bird shape, although that's pretty obvious from the picture. The 5th one really shows how close we were because you can see all the smoke, they set like 5 or 6 red ones off at the same time.These were literally right over our head. I had the camera as wide as it would go, and was wishing I had my wide angle adaptor with me. :-)
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:52 PM   #2

oops, forgot one...

Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:10 AM   #3

Nice shots Guitarman, I like the bird shaped firework. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:49 AM   #4

Guitarman,

Good job, like yourself I took some tonite and they need improvement. After several tries tt's fairly obvious a DSLR works best for stuff like this. With the camera you and I have it's more luck than pluck.

Anyhow good effort.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the kind comments. Selvin, I think you're right about a DSLR being a better suited camera for this type of photo, although, in all fairness to my camera, if I had a better handle on the manual settings I'd probably have gotten better photos than I did, I think. Other than overriding mine into nighttime mode, the rest of the settings were all auto. I was going to override the ISO to 200 (as low as the S5000 will go), but nighttime mode did that automatically. I really think burst mode is a good way to take this type of photo, because you can sort of guess when the firework is about to go off, and you can get several shots in quick succession, which helps you capture the moment, so to speak. It also gives you a couple different views of the same firework in different phases of explosion, too. I think the biggest help to me, last night, though, would have been to have gotten about 1/4 mile away instead of being right up near them, although my kids enjoyed it immensely, so it's all good.:-)