Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:55 AM   #11
PvB

Chriswo, the S1 can take macros (have a look on www.imaging-resource.com). You can find the camera under the link "Dave's pick". You'll get a list of camera purposes. You can click on all round use, long shot or macro to find the S1. Have a look at thephotos made by the camera at imaging resource and dpreview.

From what I've read on the web, it's generally accepted that the minimum distance for reasonable macros is 10cm. At imaging resource you can also find a macro photo with flash. I think you'll agree that flash macros are pretty much a no-no unless you're able to use an external slave flash.

I hope I have been of help.

PvB
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:37 AM   #12
PvB

An updateon my previous post:

Check out this forum -S1 and add on lens -on page 2 of the canon forum list. Samcheri has two macros of coins posted there. He also says that the closest you can get with the camera without extra lenses is 4cm in wide angle.

Hope this helps you, chriswo.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:27 AM   #13

PvB, thanks for your reply and pointer to the other thread.

The reason I enquired about the Macro lense is because I wonder if I could take great macro shots like this one taken by Eric CAN:

Without any macro lense attached, the last few macro shots I did was nothing to shout for.

or worse ...

chriswo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:04 PM   #14

dinoddc wrote:
Quote:
for samcheri,

hi, one question, the adapter ring(52-37) were do you got it?, i want to buy the 8x32 but i can't find it on the ckc site!
I use several step-down rings: 52-49 and 49-46; then a home-made reversal ring made of 2 46mm filters (glass removed) glued together; finally a 46-37 stepdown ring; it is true there is vignetting with the spotterscope; if you zoom in all the way to 10X with the S1, the vignetting disappears as you have seen in the moon photo; so the starting point for the spotter is 10X with the S1
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:13 PM   #15

chriswo wrote:
Quote:
Pardon me if I go a little off-topic, the telephoto is great but I am also drooling over the macro shots which S1 seems incapable of. :sad:

I came across some really great macro shots here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=11&page=1

Apparently these great shots were taken using DSLR cameras with Sigma 105 Macro lense...

My question is, can we use any marco lense on Canon Powershot S1? Has anyone tried?
Who says you cant do macros with the s1? you can get as close as 4cms from the front of the lens in wideangle; and you can use close-up lenses; I regularly use Hoya Close-up lenses (2 sets of +4,+2 and +1; you can any combination you like; best results with the most powerful lens closest to the camera) the macros I posted on this forum were done with that combination; my setup is quite simple: tripod + a focussing rail from my film slr days (works perfectly as you can see from the thread on add-on lenses); a coin measuring about 8mm across fills the 2048x1536 frame and I am not even using full zoom

Cheers!!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:13 AM   #16

samcheri wrote:
Quote:
Who says you cant do macros with the s1? you can get as close as 4cms from the front of the lens in wideangle; and you can use close-up lenses; I regularly use Hoya Close-up lenses (2 sets of +4,+2 and +1; you can any combination you like; best results with the most powerful lens closest to the camera) the macros I posted on this forum were done with that combination; my setup is quite simple: tripod + a focussing rail from my film slr days (works perfectly as you can see from the thread on add-on lenses); a coin measuring about 8mm across fills the 2048x1536 frame and I am not even using full zoom

Cheers!!
Samcheri, thanks. Of course we can do macro shots with S1, but I wonder if Hoya (+4, +10..) or Raynox DCR-250 is suffice to attach to S1 to produce a superfine, detailed macro shots like the one in my last post of the dragon fly-like insect? Or must I need a dSLR to produce similar or close result?? You see, sometimes we can't get too close to these objects in case they fly away or bite. :-)

I am thinking of getting Raynox DCR-250, but can someone tell me if I could produce similar magnification result like the photo above using this combination with S1?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:55 AM   #17

Doing macros of live (and possibly dangerous) insects is not something I have tried; as to needing a dSLR to take proper macros, now there is a QUESTION!! Typically dSLRs do not have a very zoom range unless you are prepared to shell out some real cash (say of the order of 1 or 2K). The new D20 from Canon costs $1500; add another $1000-1200 for two lenses, consider the inconvenience of carrying all this gear when you travel and you have one helluva problem. With the S1 and the combination I suggested, you can get very good macros but how close or far away from potential subjects like stinging insects you can get with it is something I have no info about; the picture quality with the Hoya close-up lenses or the closeup lenses from Canon or Raynox should be quite acceptable. http://lensmateonline.com/S1macrocomp.html has some pictures taken by the S1 with various lenses attached
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:00 AM   #18
PvB

chriswo,

The minimum distance for a macro photo with full zoom on the S1 is about 1 meter (93cm or so would be more specific). That way, when the photo is taken, you will have more time to react once an insect or other creature moves (towards you). I think anyone making a photo from 93cm would be reasonably safe from "dangerous" animals whilest still getting a good close-up.

Good luck with your macros:|!
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:04 PM   #19

Well, got my S1 lens adapter and a Hoya +4 close-up filter. Now here are some of my first attempts in macro today. Not great ... but still learning. :-)

Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:58 PM   #20
PvB

Interesting photos, chriswo. Glad I'm not the fly in the last picture:lol::!: