Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:50 AM   #1

hello all...

well, i'll start here with a story

Today, i was working with my dad (gotta earn money for my rebel ), and was waiting for something...don't remember wat...but we had my puppy there (yellow lab..see pictures in "Stupid Pet Tricks")

and i was playing with her, and after a while, i was just laying there lol, on the ground...but anyway, on to the important stuff..

as i was laying there (lying there?) i noticed something interesting...

i was looking sideways, along a rug, at the wall...i noticed (not for the first time, but this time it brought on a photographic idea) how, because your eyes are at different levels, you see two images merged...and if you fight your eyes automatic "cross eye" action, you can see the merged images drift apart...

now, you're probably thinking i'm crazy... but i had an idea...that i tried..REALLY quick tonight...

i didn't even check WB..just set exposure, focus, shot two shots, trying to position them as if they were eyes looking sideways (so one eye is higher than the other)

ok, if you have any questions on wat i'm rambling about..please ask...i'm not sure i explained this very well...

lol

here are two shots...i lined up the two shots differently...

Vito
Attached Images

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:52 AM   #2

the other one..

basically i took the shot, moved the center post up, readjusted the frame to have the elements in the same basic spot...(might have to change that in later tests)

and then took the next shot...

merged so the edge of the pickguard looks normal...

enjoy

Vito

(yes...i may have gone off the deep end...but hey! most artists do )
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:35 AM   #3

Yes, Vito, you HAVE gone off the deep end! :lol::lol:

I can honestly say I am not impressed with either shot. Nothing personal.

BTW, the men in white coats are on their way to your house as I type this. Get well soon. :G :G :G

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:07 PM   #4

thanks for your comments...

i was just going for something different...lol, so no offense taken...

ah...what are you guys doing here...

wait no..

go away!

AUUUGHH!!!

*bites guy in white coat and hits send*

help!

Vito
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:49 PM   #5

Hey Vito, try to tint one of the shots red and the other green, then look at 'em with 3-D glasses and see what happens... I don't know.... the guys in the coats just let me go....
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:02 PM   #6

ohhh...good idea!

now i gotta find those glasses they handed out (like five years ago...at least) for the ABC 3d thing...lol

good idea..it's got the same basic principle behind it...

watever is closer to you, will be farther apart.....in the 3Ds case..if you want it to jump out farther, you want them further apart (i think...i might have it backwards..)

i gotta perfect this idea...i might have something (other than insanity )

Vito
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:48 PM   #7

Hi Vito;

I think part of the problem with this shot is that the black body of the guitar essentially disappears so that the diverging details are floating in a sea of black. What does redeem the shot is thatthe shots share some elements that are in synch. I wonder if the overall effect would be improved if the overlapping layer had some sort of PS effect. (I dunno, there's so many to choose from)

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:14 PM   #8

hey tom

the effect i was trying, was wat i saw when playing tricks with my eyes...lol, you guys might just have to trying this to see wat i'm talking about...

just lay your head on the ground (or a table if the floor would cause major physical problems lol) and keep both eyes open...your eyes will want to go cross eyed to focus on one thing, fight that...keep your eyes looking straight ahead...

now, watever is closer to you, should now be doubled (unless i have some weird eye desease lol) because one eye is slightly higher than the other...

i think wat i have to do, is take the two pictures, but make sure the background lines up, making the foreground objects 'all cabobbled'...

you're gonna think i'm crazy until you understand wat i'm talking about...

then you'll still find me crazy, but only because i'm actually trying to photograph this phenomena...

lol

Vito
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:18 AM   #9

I understand what you are trying to get, photosbyvito ( and I'm hearing white men arriving too !!! ).

From the pure photographical point of view the second one, the one with a focused part and a splitted parts looks very intersting to work with.

The first one , well , why not experimenting with anaglyphs ?

Try this very easy to use software and get those old red and green/blu glasses ( or just buy Spy Kids 3D to your nephew if you have one : you'll get 4 glasses inside :-) ).

http://www.stereoeye.jp/software/index_e.html

Here's the tutorial : http://www.stereoeye.jp/howtoshoot/one_dc_e.html

You can also check here : http://www.stereoscopy.com/downloads/index.html

P.S. : you could even start a 3D challenge :-):-):-)

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:11 AM   #10

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
hey tom

the effect i was trying, was wat i saw when playing tricks with my eyes...lol, you guys might just have to trying this to see wat i'm talking about...
Oh, I understand, alright. I'm just playing dumb in case the men in the white coats are monitoring this forum.

Seriously, I understand the effect you are trying to achieve. I think you're onto something here. Please yourself first.

Keep up the good work, Vito.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote