Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:40 PM   #1

This is actually the Toronto Subway. My wife and I had a debate over how I should crop this shot. I thought maybe just the platform and the train. She thought the stairs leading up on the right were important. She always wins.:roll:

Comments?

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:54 PM   #2

hi Tom, nice shot, the movement of the train gives a lot to it. as far as cropping, sure the stairway give something to the shot but i think it has the problem that it is probably too hidden by the other elements.

i would probably prefer a crop without the stairway to get a sipler scene, but this is just my taste (btw this would give also more asimetry).

and...since i am in a sort of "sepia period" ( :-) ) i think this one could turn out to be a good subject fot it
iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 6:32 AM   #3

True, Tom,a decentrated shot with only the platform and the train would be more clean.

It's also true that including the stairs would turn out in a very complex and intersting shot, with perspective split into two directions : the train one and the stair one.

However, as iacopo noticed, the point is that you don't have enough stairs to play this game in an effective way ! They are covered both bythat newspaper box (?) which prevents to see where the stairs really begin ( and prevents our eyes from being invited to follow this second perspective ) and their horizontal extension is comparable ( even less ) to the one of the pillar(s) on its left.

Two more things :

- This shot is full of architectural elements. Hence slanted lines and barrel distortion are somehow distracting. While slanted lines can be corrected with linear transformations such as distort and skew, you may find useful to correct barrel distortion with the Distort\Spherize filter of Photoshop using negative values.( NOTE : barrel distortion must be corrected before linear distorstions).

- I also agree with iacopo aout trying a sepia version of this shot : when a shot deals mainly with lines and shapes and colors are not that exciting a b&w version deserves always a try.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:50 PM   #4

Sergio and Iacopo;

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. These are the kind of comments I can really learn from. I'll have another go at this shot - see what I can do. The stairs are definitely history... just don't tell my wife.:-)

Thanks again, and regards,

Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:21 PM   #5

Here it is... undistorted, rotated, converted to B/W with a red filter for a medium tonal range, 15% gaussian noise, and sepia layer style. (I understand there are better ways of achieving a sepia effect, but I'll have to look it up.)

Let me know what you think.

Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:59 AM   #6

Good job. I think it makes more sense now.

I personally wouldn't have added noise cause it destroys the architectural lines,however, that's only my personal opinion.

I attach my "interpretation of the shot" with a different crop.

I tried to correct that slanted line on the bottom and the small tilt of the train. ( After the spherize and the rotation I used the select-all, transform,perspective ).
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:45 AM   #7

I wondered about how much of the first column to crop. I also considered leveling that bottom line, but decided against it as the shot is not really perpendicular to it. (though I did also consider cropping just above it to avoid the problem entirely.

I like your version (- I'd put a little noise in this shot too.)

Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:27 AM   #8

hi very interesting thread, i like both Tom's version and sergio's interpretation.

hope you don't mind i post my interpretation. i have tried to play with the lights and shadows and did a slightly different crop.

Attached Images

iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:00 AM   #9

iacopo , looks like we have the same eye for cropping !

Yourcrop is the one I would have applied to : I just kept it vertically larger cause I wanted to include that line on the bottom part in order to show how working with photoshop transformation tools you can correct lines. Including that part oblied me to add some more vertical parts on the top.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:04 PM   #10

Thank you both for your contribution to this thread. I am not in the least offended when someone suggests ways to fix problems in my pictures. It's like going to a Photoshop seminar- for FREE!!! Your suggestions and interpretations are always in the spirit of sharing photographic experiences.

Thanks again.