Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:03 PM   #11

calr wrote:
Quote:
I think everyone is missing something here. Most photos posted here have EXIF information embedded in them. If you download the picture to your PC, you can read the EXIF information in recent versions of PS and PSP. EXIF contains all exposure data.
What, even if you've resized to fit an 800x600 screen and compressed them to 50-100KB for the lesser mortals who still have dial-up connections?

There are those forums meant for demonstrating composition (e.g., 'Weekly Photo Challenge', usually) and those meant for technique. The latter benefit from detailed data, the former don't. Why not post it only if it's relevant?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:19 PM   #12

hmm... tough discussion

although the technicals can be helpful, in a way, they probably won't be the same in any other situation...

the light will never be exactly the same ever again (a great part about photography),

lol, of course it will be very similar...but never exact, so someone couldn't just take the settings you used, go to the same spot, and get the correct exposure...

i do think that it is useful, to show certain techniques...like how slow the shutter was to achieve that blur of the water and stuff like that...

it takes a lot of time to add the settings to every post though...especially if you post more than one photo...if requested, i would post it...

oh yeah..if you edit in photoshop...at least in my experience...it strips the photo of it's EXIF data....unless you can change a setting to leave it on, or something...

anyway, i definetely agree with jimC's posts....just because different settings (or paints or brushes or other artistic material) does change the photo (or other work of art lol) that's not what's important...it's the artist's vision and creativity that matters to make the image.

lol, then again, when first learning, it is nice to see how certain settings effects the picture...

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:28 AM   #13
Administrator

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
hmm... tough discussion

although the technicals can be helpful, in a way, they probably won't be the same in any other situation...

the light will never be exactly the same ever again (a great part about photography),

lol, of course it will be very similar...but never exact, so someone couldn't just take the settings you used, go to the same spot, and get the correct exposure...
In addition to lighting, we also have a wide variety of cameras being used, with totally different characteristics.

For example, Depth of Field would be dramatically greater on a small sensored model at any given aperture, focus distance and 35mm equivalent focal length, compared to a DSLR (because the actual focal lengths of the lenses are much shorter on a non-DSLR model for any given 35mm equivalent focal length).

Then, you get into different noise characterics with different camera models for a given ISO speed and lighting condition, etc. Even within the same camera model with a DSLR, users have different lenses with different characteristics (one lens may be sharp at f/2.8, and a different lens may need to be stopped down to f/5.6 or so before it's as sharp at the same focal length).

To be frank, my biggest concern with asking users to post the EXIF information is that some users may not be comfortable doing it. They may not want others to know that they're using a camera they bought on sale at Wal-Mart for $99.00 to take the photos they're proud enough to show off to others. IMO, asking everyone to post camera and settings information could invite a class/financial distinction between users (something I see too much of on many forums now).

In other words, if everyone posted their EXIF information, and users didn't want to be classified as someone that could afford one model camera and/or lens versus another, then some users may not feel comfortable posting their images anymore.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:07 AM   #14

Hey everyone,

This is a very interesting topic and here's my two cents. I try to put as much info with a posted photo as I can. First it gives the viewer an idea of how it was taken, second it may help someone else. These forums are for showing off and I have nothing against that, matter of fact I love too, but also if the technical info on the photo is included also if someone wants to critique the photo the info helps. Are we artists, yes we use light instead of paint but this artist is not going to hide his technique. If the info I post helps someone else that is great. If someone looks at my info and suggests something different that is even better. To post the info or not is the choice of the photographer, I have nothing against the person who does not. I made the choice to include the camera info with my photos, in the end it is about the photograph. Have a great day!
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:45 AM   #15

JimC wrote:
Quote:
To be frank, my biggest concern with asking users to post the EXIF information is that some users may not be comfortable doing it. They may not want others to know that they're using a camera they bought on sale at Wal-Mart for $99.00 to take the photos they're proud enough to show off to others. IMO, asking everyone to post camera and settings information could invite a class/financial distinction between users (something I see too much of on many forums now).
I really don't think that anyone's going to feel ashamed that they couldn't afford the most expensive camera. Firstly, what camera you have says nothing at all of your economic status - I know plenty of very wealthy but very stingy people! :lol:

But all kidding aside - I would be very proud if I got great images out of a cheap camera because it would be praise to my talent - getting a good image out of a lousy camera basically means that your talent was what made it manage to come out so good.

Lastly, there's no reason why anyone cannot post the Exif data - excluding the camera make/model!

But really, I honestly don't think anyone is going to feel along those lines. I personally have a mid-range camera, a Minolta Z3. It was a toss-up between that and the Canon S1-IS. I am still wondering if I made the right choice. My friend has a Canon A70 and he is always cursing at me when we go photographing together because I can zoom in like miles away and he can only zoom about 10 feet! He is seething with jealousy and says so, but the fact is he doesn't have the money for a better one. But he doesn't feel ashamed, just jealous :-)

I can assure you, no matter what you have, there's always someone with something better.

Just my $0.16
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote