Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:52 AM   #1

hi everyone,

i've noticed that there are many postedphotos in this forum are attached withoutmentioning anything about the Kind of theCamera usedand the settings:

*Shutter Speed,

*Aperture,

*ISO

*and the locationwhere the photo was taken.

I hope this will help others to learn how to take nice picture.

best regards,

..:a8j2
a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:24 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, would you ask an artist to tell you what kind of paint they used? Or, would you ask a carpenter what kind of tools were usedwhen creating a nice piece of furniture? Probably not... The artist's skill is more important.

The photographer's skill and the lighting conditions have more to do with getting good photos than anything else, too. Sure, the equipment does come into play. But, different equipment and lenses will have different characteristics.

If you see a photo that you especially like, and want to know some of the techniques used to take it, I can imagine that most forum members would be more than happy to let you know what they did to get the photo.

With any camera, you need to learnit's behavior. Then, try to take advantage of it's strengths and work around it's limitations. This will require time and effort. Here is a popular quote that is very applicable to equipment:

Writer to Photographer:

"Your photos are great, you must have a very nice camera"

Photographer to Writer:

"Your books are great, too. You must have a very good typewriter."

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:29 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Well, would you ask an artist to tell you what kind of paint they used? Or, would you ask a carpenter what kind of tools were usedwhen creating a nice piece of furniture? Probably not...
Yes I would. That doesn't mean he has to answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

Quote:
The artist's skill is more important.
All factors are important, as without even a single one, everything would be different. But indeed, the artist's skill is very important.
Quote:
Writer to Photographer:

"Your photos are great, you must have a very nice camera"

Photographer to Writer:

"Your books are great, too. You must have a very good typewriter."
Cute. But I think upon closer scrutiny, you'll agree that even the best photographer's photographs are affected by their camera slightly more than a writer's works are affected by their pen. You're comparing apples to oranges.

A painter's artwork IS affected by the brand of oils he uses, the type of brush, etc.
A racer's performance IS affected by the tires on his car, and the type of car itself, and the quality of the fuel in the tank, etc.
But a programmer's software is not affected by the keyboard he uses to code with(perhaps his knuckles and wrist are, though :-)

You get my point, I think.

As I said before, nobody is obligated to share the info he requested, but I agree it is a good idea. I'm going to start posting my Exif data with images, perhaps even on my website too.

DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:04 AM   #4

Don't want to tread on toes here but as a complete novice at photography, what a great idea. It was my impression that the forum (or part of it)is to share your knowledge with those that join it, I am not saying it should be a part of the forum rules but I for one would find itmost helpful. Imagine the senario, I see a great photograph with all or part of the photographers equipment/settings and as a begginer in the hobby (that what it is to me) I go out and try to emulate it with the settings provided,what a boost to your confidence if iteven comes close to the original, hey I'll try that again with different settings, composition, time of day etc.

I have learnt today, think i'll go back to the forum and not only post my attempt at photography but see if there is any more information from members that I can try and learn from.

I for one think it is a very good suggestion.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:38 AM   #5

I would not mind if someone requested the info on a photo, but I would find it a pain in the .... to list all the info with each and every photo posted.

I also believe there is more to a good shot than the good camera. My husband regularly tells me that he can not pick up my camera and take the same shot Ive just taken as we both look at things differently and see things differently. Ive seen really good photographers pick up a cheap camera and take a great shot, Ive also seen people buy the best of everything and still take crappy shots, I truely believe there is more to a good photo than a great camera.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:57 AM   #6

I think everyone is missing something here. Most photos posted here have EXIF information embedded in them. If you download the picture to your PC, you can read the EXIF information in recent versions of PS and PSP. EXIF contains all exposure data.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:10 PM   #7

Opanda eXif reader/plugin get all the image info you want with a right mouse click on yur browser window, unless the maker has chosen to clear the info. (or used some software that did)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8

hello everyone,

i really think that nobody is using a pen, he can write a masterpiece(maybe scratches not a novel), i'm not comparable with Charles Dickens even i'm using a pen in writing. but if i read to much novels, it will enhance my skill to write better paragraphs. more reading here is the same as knowing the settings of the camera.

also the skill is very important to take amazing photos, but believe me the camera and its settings configured,make a big difference.

also not all the users here in the forums are talented, and brilliant in taking photos (take me here), so why we don't try to improve their skill by let them know at least the settings of the camera that used to take that photo??

{Well, would you ask an artist to tell you what kind of paint they used? Or, would you ask a carpenter what kind of tools were usedwhen creating a nice piece of furniture? Probably not... The artist's skill is more important.}

i agreed with you JimC in this part if i enjoy looking to great photos and live the moment. but if i want to learn how to draw, i will ask the artist many things(settings).

i hope my idea is helpful.

thanx to DanielT2 and russellnsr2fortheir support.

finally thanx to you JimC for your opinion which i agreed with part of it and disagreed with the other part..

best regards..

a8j2..

Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:28 PM   #9

thanx PeterP, i will use it.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:40 PM   #10

I don't think it is an unusual request for those who wish to share it. In a gallery showing, I do not expect to see it. In an online photography forum, it is reasonable that some would like to share this info as an aid to others, as I often check for exif data too.

Personally, as someone who has just gotten back into photography after many years, I like seeing what other folks are doing with the same camera I have. It is encouraging.
mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote