Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:35 AM   #1

I stood in one spot and rotated and took a series of shots to try to show the look of a river valley (and basically just to practice...there was nothing special about the scene). What is funny is that I must have been standing on an angle because as I turn, the camera drops.

What I'm confused about is how to do the moving of the photos. I'm using Photoshop Elements 2.0 and once I did the merge, it would not let me go back in history and move things. I should have done more moving at the beginning, but I thought I'd have the option later.

Also, is there some sort of tool that would blend the dark and light parts of the sky without looking totally obvious. This is obviously not a keepsake, but rather a practice run, so I'm just looking for basic ideas.

Thanks for any ideas on how to do basic stuff with panoramas!
Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:17 AM   #2

Some basic rules to follow with panoramic sequences:
1. Use manual focus. Focus on something that you want to be clear and use that focus setting for all shots.
2. Use manual metering. Meter on an area that is an average of the entire panoramic range and use that setting for all shots in the sequence.
3. Set white balance manually to the selection which corresponds to your shooting conditions (e.g. sun, clouds, etc). Don't use auto WB.
4. Use a tripod and make sure the camera is level.
5. Overlap 1/3 to 1/2 frame between shots.

Rules 1 & 2 will insure that you have even exposure and focus throughout the sequence of shots. The sky should blend naturally with no lines between lighter and darker areas.

Rule 3 will insure that your white balance and consequently your overall color balance will not change from shot to shot.

Rules 4 & 5 are for the benefit of your stitching software. The more shots in your sequence, the harder your stitching software must work to blend the shots. In most cases you should limit a sequence to about three shots. If you are trying for a super-wide Pano, ask yourself these questions: How can I print it? How can it be viewed? Posting a very wide pano on a website results very short but wide picture that is difficult to view.

OK! That's my 3.5 cents worth (inflation!)

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:39 AM   #3

Awesome!! Thanks Cal!
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:13 PM   #4

It certainly does convey a sense of the endless austerity in a Wisconsin winter.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote