Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:09 AM   #1

According to iacopo's suggestions to take some shots of the reflections between two glass Christmas balls (have a look at his Playing with infinity post ) I took some shots of two silver balls.

I also experimented with a red and a silver ball as calr suggested in that post.

Since a silver and red ball have intersting reflections on the silver ball but less intersting ones on the red ball ( since all of the reflections there are red! ) I set up a shot with a red ball and two silver ones.

Here they come.

Reflections On Two Christmas Balls 1 :

Reflections On Two Christmas Balls 2 :

Reflections On Two Christmas Balls 3 :

Reflections On Two Christmas Balls 4 :

Reflections On Three Christmas Balls 5 :

Before Shooting :

- hand washing and ball cleaning

- ball positioning on a table with lamp directly above them in order to project symmetric shadows.

- manual white balance setting

- As of the precious Klaus DK suggestions when shooting at chrome reflections I underexposed with EV set to -1 to limit burned white areas.

- No flash, macro mode in most shots, tripod with selftimer or camera tightly held.

PS, After Shooting :

- rotation, crop ( I'm sorry, one ball is smaller than the other one. As a trade off I preferred to have the top of the balls aligned with the horizon cause I thought that otherwise it would have been more noticeable ).

- manual level correction. ( Note : since lamp created small white areas you cannot realy upon an automatic correction as it is almost doesn't change the shot. Trying a manual level correction leads better results but, if you shrink the area by left-shifting the hi-key tones you will expand the white area and risk overburning. In order to avoid this, before applying the manual level correction, I have selected the white areas in order to exclude them from the tonal change.Still, in order for this operation not to leave visible tone differences in the boundaries around the selected areas I smoothed the selection by rather big values : in this shots I used a value of 20 when working with the image at their maximum dimension of 4MP ).

- automatic contrast

- Local dodging and sharpening on the fourth shot.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:52 PM   #2

I'm going to have to open up the box of decorations and have a go aren't I?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:30 PM   #3

hi i like very much 2 and 3. they all seem sort of "inverse raytracing experiment", i mean, use real pictures to reproduce raytraced images !

probably too disturbing reflected elements make not easy to concentrate on the subject.

thanks a lot for the good advices about handling of white balance in pictures with large bright spots, i have to try them.

iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:43 AM   #4

As always, BrtSergio...your photos are exquisite...and showcase your "vision" to create them.

Happy New Year to you and your family, BrtSergio.:-)

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:23 PM   #5

Incredibly artistic. Thanks so much for sharing how you did it. It gives us a chance to put all these settings and mods together in our minds as we are still learning.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:20 PM   #6

hi, just for fun after a very long time i went back to play with POVRay and obtained this one (i did not have a kitchen background though ).

Anyway looking again at your images i am impressed by the perfection in the choice of positioning with respect of the lights and in the vertical position of the camera too!
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:14 AM   #7

*hands iacopo slip of paper*

Here's my medical bill which I had to pay because I fell over after seeing that photo. I'd like you to pay it, it was your fault for posting such a stunning picture.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:16 AM   #8

Thank you for your kind comment but let me restate that the original idea was iacopo's one : I justhad more glass balls at home than he had :-)!

Thanx digicamfan for your wishes.

I take the opportunity to wish a great 2005 to everybody in this forum.

Thanx winscosingirl : I'm just paying my debt to the forum from which I learned.

Iacopo , great work with PovRay !

ferny,iacopo's is a 3D generated picture that you can get using the free software 3D Renderer PovRay (http://www.povray.org/)

That sofware is really a great one though a little bit difficult to manage directly as it all starts from a mathematical description of a 3D scene.

However , looking at the examples and with some cut & paste , you can get wonderful thing with very few lines of code.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:47 AM   #9

hi and thanks sergio for the explanation. if you are curious about the PovRay code to generate this scene please look here (it is very "dirt", i wrote it in a hurry yesterday night :-) ):

http://web.tiscali.it/3.14159/metallicreflection.pov