Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:42 AM   #1

Hi Everyone

My name is Dyu and im from India. Here are a few pics that i've recently taken with my new Panasonic FZ 20 that i would like a the photographers on this forum to comment on.

Wonders of the light - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395651.html
Monumental Goa - http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395676.html

I would really appreciate if you could help me with my learning of the wonderful aret of photography. It's been only 8 months that i've seriously started shooting.

You may also look at some of my other shots at www.dyudcunha.fotopic.net

Thanks a ton people

Besties

Dyu
dyu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:31 AM   #2

Some nice pics there. Nice quality. Only one thing though...some of your photos are tilted, so that the subject isn't straight up and down (ie not vertical)...

eg...

Some photos in this link...

http://dyudcunha.fotopic.net/c395676.html
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:41 AM   #3

Hi Kenny

Thanks for the comments... I guess the tilt is because of a few reasons

1. On the widethe camerahas only 36 mm.. so mainly the tilt is so that i get the full shot.

2. The subject is at a higher level than the level at which i am with the tripod and the camera... for eg picture titled Candolim Church

Do let me know of any technique how this tilt can be rectified... And also is it really a bad thing if there is such a tilt???

Thanks for the help

Besties

Dyu

dyu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:10 AM   #4

Hi Dyu, you're welcome anytime. Actually, I only just meant a few shots...such as these ones. I've deleted from my pc now, but show you which ones I meant...the copyright sign is still there as well after the crop. I just rotated the angle to make the subject go more or less vertical.
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:10 AM   #5

another one here...
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:11 AM   #6

and one more...
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:10 AM   #7

Kenny! What do you use to slightly rotate the picture and how is it done?

Also, after using photostitch I have a somewhat rounded result, how can I straighten it out???
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:20 AM   #8

Salbolzano .. I just use a photo-editor like paintshop pro, photoshop to do the rotation...you just choose a certain angle you want to rotate, and which direction (clockwise etc) to rotate. Usually it's best to do the rotation with pictures at the highest resolution. Eg if you have a 1024x768 pixel photo...then do the rotation first before resizing the picture to something smaller, such as 800x600 or 640x480. I found that doing rotations on lower resolution pictures can cause noticeable distortion effects.

To get rid of roundness and things due to barrel distortion, and other things like pin cushion effect...there's a plug-in for photoshop called panotools. I've never used it before..but will give it a try sometime. But I think it only works for single pictures...not panoramas. I downloaded panotools but haven't used installed it yet. The plugin can be found at..

http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:52 AM   #9

You have (at least) two issues: leveling the camera and perspective. You held the camera with about one degree of roll and about 11 degrees of pitch. (Roll is the angle off level about the lens axis and pitch is the amount the camera is pointed upwards.) Both of those can be corrected with software though the technique is way beyond my ability to describe.

Do some reading on perspective correction. I'd suggest Ansel Adams' book "The Camera" (the next two books in the trilogy are "The Negative" and "The Print"). That is presented in the context of shifts and swings of a view camera, and it has some of the best photos ever made as illustrations. So ignore his solution (tilts and swings), but pay attention to the problem he illustrates. With digital, the solution is software.

Panorama Tools is a program well worth learning how to use: it will deal with the perspective problem as well as the barrel distrotion that seems to be in your photo. PT is not easy, but it is well worth the effort.

I did not try to correct the barrel distortion since I need the focal length of the lens and I really didn't feel like spending the time to do it. In the words of a standard Math text book, "That is left as an exersize for the student." :-)
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:32 PM   #10

There are "Buy" links under your photos.

Is this an advert post?
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote