Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:07 PM   #1

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6908719/site/newsweek/
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:47 PM   #2

Yes, verysobering images. Thanks for the link.Very constructive use of before and after pix...

Canna

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3

I tiptoe lightly across my keyboard here, because I don't want to create a sore spot, but I have read a lot about this. I don't think the last word is in yet, not by a long shot, to explain the plight of the people in northern climates, with regard to warming. When I see banana leaves poking through the snow in my back yard, in December,then I'll believe we have global warming! The gases in the upper atmosphere caused by things like our North American lifestyle may not be the culprit. Studies prove that long before the industrial revolution, there were higher concentrations of these so called green house effect type gases. Independent of what causes the early thaw, and prolongs it, some effort ought to made to help those people.Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:38 PM   #4

One good volcanic eruption can put multiple times more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than humans are responsible for in our entire history. Sometimes I think we humans like to think we're more important than nature. Once we are gone from this world (i.e. extinct) Mother Nature will keep right on going and we will have been just a footnote in the history of the world.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:00 AM   #5

Hi Kenneth & PicGuy,

It would be interesting to hear more about this. Are there any online resources you can direct me to?

abw Canna.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:38 AM   #6

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
I tiptoe lightly across my keyboard here, because I don't want to create a sore spot, but I have read a lot about this. I don't think the last word is in yet, not by a long shot, to explain the plight of the people in northern climates, with regard to warming. When I see banana leaves poking through the snow in my back yard, in December, then I'll believe we have global warming! The gases in the upper atmosphere caused by things like our North American lifestyle may not be the culprit. Studies prove that long before the industrial revolution, there were higher concentrations of these so called green house effect type gases. Independent of what causes the early thaw, and prolongs it, some effort ought to made to help those people. Best regards,

KennethD
Yah .. well, let's look at it this way. When we count up the number of cars, buses, planes and boats that we have in the world, and work out the amount of daily pollution these things give off, and then add in the contribution of pollution from factories and family households ... it's inevitable that it's going to have a serious impact on the world's environment.

Scientists have found out that there's only half the expected amount of carbon dioxide in the air. They've now figured out the other half is absorbed by the seawater in the ocean.

The problem is the technology and people are destroying the planet. Actually, most of the problems on the planet are caused by people...like spreading pests, diseases, pollution, using up limited resources etc. The thing that concerns me is that nobody knows whether the earth's own natural control systems (that keeps the environment more or less stable) will break-down in a slow way, or whether it will fail catastrophically. I reckon that us folks on the planet are actually in pretty deep trouble. I like technology and things like that, but we're definitely going to be facing the serious consequences. I'm just glad that I'm around when the times are still ok, because I seriously doubt that things are going to be ok 10 to 20 years from now.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:15 AM   #7

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kenneth & PicGuy,

It would be interesting to hear more about this. Are there any online resources you can direct me to?

abw Canna.
Standby Canna, I get a lot of my info from Scientific journals. But I'll try to find a link for you.

KennethD
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:14 AM   #8

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks. I got a lot of info from the green position,but it would be good to hear the other side of the argument too.

abw

Canna
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:55 AM   #9

One word....HOAX!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:48 AM   #10

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks. I got a lot of info from the green position,but it would be good to hear the other side of the argument too.

abw

Canna
Hi Canna. The best article and the most unbiased, I believe was in Scientific Americain, I T H I N K....! Sorry it's taking me so long to find it. I have been doing serious housecleaning and tons of magazines and books and stuff got relocated, thrown out, donated to schools, etc., etc.... the short version is by anayzing polar ice and other ancient articles they have concluded that for some reason these conditions repeat themselves. Our Trains planes and automobiles etc., may indeed be harmful, but the might not be the major player here, judging from conditions that seemed to cycle when these culprits weren't around. I do have sympathy for our populations in the North. Truly. But...I'd still like to be able to stroll around without my parka for more than just a few months of the year too!:lol: Best regards,

KennethD