Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:40 PM   #1

Various abandonments photographed in my travels over the past two years...

S.K.

(employee entrance - Stelco, Hamilton Ont.)

(burned office - Whitby Psychiatric Hospital)

(upper level - Stelco/Stelwire, Hamilton)

(Bakelite-Thermoset, Belleville, Ont.)

(annealing vats - Stelco, Hamilton)

(wrecked bathroom - Whitby Psychiatric Hospital)

(employee lunchroom - Eagle Castings, Stevensville, Ont.)

(Stelco/Stelwire, Hamilton)
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:49 PM   #2

Very interesting shots, S.K. It's hard to picka favorite... I think there's something very moody about the burned office. I wonder what some of these places would look like under different (darker) lighting situations... something I've wanted to try - put a light in one area of a darkened building and look for interesting effects elsewhere.

Good work,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:22 PM   #3

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting shots, S.K. It's hard to pickĀ*a favorite... I think there's something very moody about the burned office. I wonder what some of these places would look like under different (darker) lighting situations... something I've wanted to try - put a light in one area of a darkened building and look for interesting effects elsewhere.

Good work,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
I had to lightpaint the burned out office - it was VERY dark in that area of the building.

Some of the most amazing photos I've seen of abandoned places are ones done solely with tea candles - strategically placed to light up the interesting areas of the composition. I've done a bit of experimenting that way myself...but I'd like to do more in the future.

S.K.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:18 AM   #4

It's a bit sad to see all these signs of past civilization all lined up together, though it's great they are being documented. I found the lunchroom particularly touching, with the open fridge, and the dustbin linerstill in place

The psych. hosp office is a wonderful pic initself - it reeks character, that lighting works beautifully.

Caroline

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5

I really like your photos of abandoned industrial sites, S.K. Some of the most interesting pics that i've seen. How do you gain entrance?

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:06 PM   #6

Bob Mevis wrote:
Quote:
I really like your photos of abandoned industrial sites, S.K. Some of the most interesting pics that i've seen. How do you gain entrance?

Bob
Thanks Bob

Gaining entrance is always different. Whenever possible I ask permission. Failing that, I tend to visit locations on a Sunday when no one's usually around to bother me. Many of the abandonments are easy access (open doors, holes in the building, etc.) Each location is a different story.

Many of the places are quite dangerous - both structurally as well as the possibility of hostile vagrants and/or drug addicts lurking around. I always keep my wits about me, carry a cellphone as well as a sturdy 3D maglite that can double as a self-defense item. I also prefer scouting a location during the daylight before ever attempting a sunset/evening photoshoot.

S.K.