Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:51 PM   #1

Each summer we rent a 100-yr-old factory/warehouse to use as photo studio space. Last summer we set up some tea lights and experimented with a few shots...

S.K.

SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:28 PM   #2

Awesome shot, S.K.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:24 AM   #3

Now that's what I'm talking about!What I'd also like to try is to set up some lights in one area and work with the light as it bleeds into other areas. I'm sure that leaning to balance all that light and shadow would be achallenge.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:55 AM   #4

I love it. I wish I could have been there to participate.

Regarding Tom's comment about balancing light and shadow, I don't think that would be problem at all. There are enough candles burning providing plenty of light. The real problem would be getting the white balance set correctly. I think either incandescent or a manual reading from something white would do.

Note--These technical remarks are not in reference to SK's excellent photo but rather just stating some procedural points to consider when shooting anything of this nature.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5

Thanks to ya`ll for the great comments - very much appreciated :-)

The night I shot the candles in the old building, I was working alone - mostly setting up for a model photoshoot the next day. I had the tea candles sittin' around in a box and just decided to experiment a little with them. I spent about half an hour setting them all up and lighting them with my Bic.

After taking only 15-20 shots from various angles, an alarm bell started ringing in the building...which I naturally assumed was an old firealarm system. Startled, I rushed around quickly blowing out all the candles, thinking I'd somehow set off a smoke detector or something (although there was no smoke to speak of).

After 30 seconds or so, the alarm bell stopped ringing...and I ended up sitting around another half an hour anticipating firetrucks to answer the false alarm. But as it turned out, the alarm wasn't connected to the local fire station.

In fact, it wasn't the firealarm at all. The following day I discovered that it was simply mischievous neighbourhood kids who had repeatedly pressed the doorbell at the front door on the ground floor.

It just happened to coincide at the same time with my candle photo experiments. I hadn't even been aware the doorbell was still active (we'd be renting the 30,000 sq. ft. building for the past two years and never once heard it ring).

Murphy's Law at work :?:

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote