Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:28 PM   #1

Right, im leaving these 2 on here, is the watermark really that bad?

cloud surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:56 PM   #2

I love these shots. My only complaint is the copyright message through the middle of each one. It is really distracting and looks terrible. The idea here is to show great looking photographs.

If you feel the need to physically attach a copyright to your photos, there are ways to do it without destroying the esthetic qualities of the photo. Electronic watermarks are one solution. They are completely hidden and cannot be removed by anyone who does not have the key. Most current photoediting software including PS and PSP9 can detect and read the watermark. The same software can also add an electronic watermark if you are registered with the company that generates the code.

Second, put your copyright message near the edge of your photos and make it much smaller.

Third, place an object or mark that you would recognize but nobody else would even notice somewhere in the picture where it is not easy to see. Don't tell anyone what the mark is. Thomas Kinkade, the famous American "Painter of Light" puts the letter "N" in his paintings SIXTEEN times. The sixteen occurances take many forms. They may be in a street sign, a store sign, the shape of an object, etc. That is in addition to signing the painting.

There are probably a number of other methods but you get the idea. I want to see your photographs, not a warning message declaring ownership rights.

Think about it.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:51 PM   #3

I agree that the shots are awsome, but the writing through the picture takes a lot away..
Don_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:30 PM   #4

Absolutely great shots....but Please lose the lettering.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:04 PM   #5

I did have the copyright in small text along the bottom but i got ripped off seriously bad, they cropped it off, then tried claiming the photo's as their own! I have been ripped off many times in the past too so i just don't want to risk it again, sorry if has ruined it for you guys :sad:but thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:37 PM   #6

I would suggest that if you are going to insist on the large copyright text in your photos, don't bother posting them!

BTW, if you reduce the size of the image for posting on the web (maximum dimension of 700) probably nobody is going to steal them because the resolution is too low to do anything with.

However, do take a serious look at electronic watermarking. It's not visible and I am 99% certain that watermark owner is the only one who can remove it.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:49 PM   #7

Yup I Agree on the above, I didnt even stop to look because of the HUGE watermark, Can you post without ?:-)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:11 PM   #8

I can understand the copyright. I use a proofing overlay myself but the images are visible without it on mouseover to my clients and guests.

Look like good shots but the text takes out the "Amazing" in the title and your left with "UK Lightning Photo's!!!". Also anyone worth their salt at photoshop can easily remove the text if they wanted to claim the photos.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:58 PM   #9

In Cloud Surfer's defense - speaking from the perspective as a professional photographer and also as a victim of copyright infringement on numerous occasions in the past (twice we've threatened lawsuit on individuals and both times settled monetary damages between lawyers)...I can quite identify with his reasons for the inclusion of the large copyright notices in the images.

I'm able to see past the copyright graphics...and see a few terrific lightning shots. Sure, the graphics are somewhat distracting - but a minor nuisance if the photographer has been victimized by past infringement.

Copyright infringement is a plague of epidemic proportions online these days. We all have our own ways of attempting to deal with it.

If you've ever discovered a paysite using your images to illegally generate revenue for themselves without permission, you'd know just how galling it really is. I can't fault someone for attempting to protect their copyrights.

Just my .02 cents...

S.K.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:21 AM   #10

Well, if its such a darn problem i will delete my post, i have no programmes to create an electronic watermark, if i did don't you think i would do that instead!?!

I have been a photographer for over 15 years and this was my first attempt at getting lightning shots so i am super protective over them and without any decent programmes i am pretty much stuck with them as they are now.

Yes i agree it makes the photo's look odd but you could at least take it easy with the way you are wording it!!!

By the way, thanks for theunderstanding words Silent Knight.