Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:44 PM   #1

Default Riding the lava floes in Hawaii

The lava plates buckle upwards and crack along the top. It's fun to find a passable way up one side, jump the crack (the wider cracks are challenging), and look for a safe way down. We play a game "follow the bleeder" . Not good too fall! Can you say sandpaper? The floes go for miles.

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...ark0113540.jpg
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2003, 12:26 AM   #2

Yikes!

Nice shot!

-r
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:48 AM   #3

Jeff

Extreme riding, eh? Good shot.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:56 AM   #4

i need the coordinates please. it definately looks like a thing to do.

tires don't last long there do they?

i'm guessing Big Island- Hawaii?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments, folks. If I ever learn to compose photographs decently, there are some spectacular shots to be had out there on those floes. Gotta get Klaus DK out here and tag along with him .

sjms, right you are. These smoother types of lava floes, called pahoehoe, are found in several areas along the Kona coast, on the leeward side of the Big Island of Hawaii. They are only 5-10 minutes from the airport. It's a fascinating world out there, alien and abstract. The ironic thing is that no one enjoys it but us crazy mountain bikers and a few hikers. Tires do have a short half life, but not only because of wear. Most of us suffer side wall slices that ruin the tire sooner or later. If you ever visit, we take anyone who wants to give it a try.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:37 AM   #6

i'm in.

i was all over that area about 5 yrs ago. i loved just hikiing through it and shooting. my boots did loose a few months of life off them though.

but not this year. doing the desert in Calif and Az. then back to Maine for some more kayaking.

next year i'll be passing through there on my way to Hobbitland NZ. gonna stay a few on the islands before the long ride south.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:06 PM   #7

Hi sjms, if you are going to be in Kona, give me a call and I can point you in the direction of some sweet hiking trails and the lava floes. My email is jmcdev1@earthlink.net. If I'm not working, I'd be glad to show you around.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:27 PM   #8

that is very gracious of you. i'll put you in the file and look you up if and when we get to the big island. my daughter is sort of resistant to there. she refers to it as the stinky volcano place due to the SO2. she'll put up with it though.