Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Mar 12, 2003, 3:21 PM   #1

Default Bar-restaurant where I like to go

Hi all,

I tried to get the ambiance of that place.
I took this photo with aperture priority but the background is too bright. How can I deal best with these situations in the future?
What do you think about the composition? (to much ceiling, I think I should crop it a little)
I could not spend to much time on it because I did not want to disturb the people with the shooting, one quick shot, finished.
It has not been manipulated in PSP.

I'll be thankfull for any comments.
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:33 PM   #2

No easy answer because of the bright window. Go back in the evening or when it's much duller, might need a tripod.

You have tried to make it interesting by including the ashtray and angled it. It's crooked though. Crooked horizons are often considered a cardinal sin. You have to be very artistic and very good to ignore the basic rules. I'm just not artistic enough for that so I stick to the basic principles.

Watch how Artshot develops, she's an artist and sooner or later she'll be very good. She's got that artistic eye which I'll never have.

A good trick is to copy other's methods.

There is no atmosphere cos it's too bright.

You are certainly thinking along the right lines - keep at it, takes practice.

I would crop some ceiling out.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 3:01 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments Steve: much appreciated.
I think I'm gonna try it again taking care of what you said and taking the time needed to get a better shot.
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 11:44 AM   #4

Another trick is using B+W with a smoky atmosphere. The ashtray suggests smoking is allowed in that place.

Wait till a few folks are having a fag. It might not do your lungs any good but it'll give you a good pic.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 8:54 PM   #5
pod

My main subject of photography is shooting in environments similar to that. I'll agree that you should wait till nighttime to capture the true ambiance of the place. Don't use a tripod, it'll generate a lot of curiosity and ruin the shot...it's like whipping out a bazooka, too many people will be looking at the camera when you do the shot...the trick is to be discreet.What I tend to do is use ledges, shelves, or any stable surface to allow a clean shot. In a bar it's hard, since the light level is very dim mostly...when I've shot bars, I'll usually try and spot meter on a bright object, and then slow down the shutter speed 2 stops from there. If all else fails, I've done 'bulb' for 1 or 2 seconds...not sure if your camera allows such a feature.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote