Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Jul 6, 2002, 6:32 AM   #1

Default Cochem: Interior: Monkey Business

When the Romans ruled Europe, each soldier was given a ration of wine that he had to drink each day. That ration was no more than a glass, maybe two. Wine was almost as important as ammunition as far as replenishment went. This is evident all over Europe, especially in Germany.

But, the monks, during that time, took that sort of reasoning a step further. As towns and countries changed hands and sides over the centuries, the monks inherited the wine-growing, regardless of who was in charge.

This picture shows two sizes of wine, not beer, mugs. The larger was for the monks, and the smaller was for the nuns. At the time, sometime in the 15th century, or maybe the 16th, the monks were required to drink an astounding 5 litres of wine per day. The nuns were required to drink 3 litres. I suppose that is one approach to enforcing chastity, but I can't imagine it did much for the desire to do all that back breaking work on those steep slopes to raise those grapes... Or maybe it did...

The monks, being the clandestine busybodies of the day, were also the early warning system for Cochem. I have no doubt in my mind that they dropped the ball when the French came knocking on their door.

Twice.

But, they grew some damn fine wine, and their legacy lives on in Cochem, and all over Germany and Europe, today.
JAGirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links