Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Apr 1, 2003, 3:24 PM   #1

Default Newbie action shot, input please...

This shot is a little out of character for this site, I realize, so forgive me if it doesn't belong here. It may be a little like entering a chainsaw sculpture in a fine art competition, but here goes:

------------->

This was the last of a 5-shot series in "Burst Mode" with my new Fuji S602 Zoom. It has been "auto leveled" in Photoshop and resized from it's original 2048 x 1536 resolution. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2003, 8:49 PM   #2
pod

From a consumer-level digital camera, it is a wonderful action shot.
My opinion is you posted it in the right forum "Other photos" just to be safe .

Focus is on point, shutter speed is of course well done, composition great. Again, a great image especially from a consumer digital unit.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 11:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the kind words, pod. I was impressed with the color of the sky, such a deep blue. This shot was pure luck, as it was my first time out with the new camera. I hadn't figured out the white balance thing yet (still haven't), and probably had everything set wrong.

Burst mode kinda seems like cheating, it makes it so easy to get shots like this. I spent days hanging around Denver Intl. in the early '80s trying to get good shots of airliners touching down back in the 35mm days. I managed one good shot complete with smoke from the tires and mist from the wings, except I cut the last foot or so off the acfts. tail. Of course I spent so much money getting film developed I couldn't afford an autowinder. It would have been easy (and cheap) with this camera.

Thanks,
Jim
Old Apr 3, 2003, 12:17 AM   #4

Looks good, but im a rookie too. Ive taken digital for about 4 years, but my new one Olympus E100RS about 1 year. I love it.
The sky is so bright, love it. You can check out some of my action shots if you like, www.pbase.com/wvyankeegurl
A friend of mine on here just got one of those cameras you have. He has both E100RS and fugi , cant wait to see how they stack up, but he just got it.
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:03 PM   #5
pod

Good action overall, the first few softball shots are a bit blown in some places, but that's unavoidable considering the time you had...it's not always possible to shoot at sunset Though you managed to do that with the little kid at bat...nice one to sell to Mom and Dad...
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:35 PM   #6

thanks, i have many others but im a bit full on that pbase site,lol.
Your right on the lighting , i can take the first 4-5 innings then the sun goes away and cant get the shots i want. Yeah i sale a lot of my shots , i make baseball cards with the kids different action shots on it, throwing, hitting, running on base, sliding , ect. I also do a cologe of the whole team with a 8 1/2 x 11 filled up with about 4 of each kid on the team, and other designs on it. Also have around 8 sites up for teams , volleyball, basketball, softball, baseball. Anyway the parents love those lol. well i do too.
some of my best shots arent on that site , but i need to do another one. thanks !

here are some of my sports sites
www.eteamz.com/WVCobras
www.eteamz.com/PHS_softball
www.eteamz.com/poca_girlsbball

tell me what ya think if you have time to look
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 9:42 PM   #7

Wow you guys, the shot at the top of the thread took 3rd place in Steves Digicams POTD Contest for the month of April. Check it out here:

April 2003 DPOTD Winners

I'm stoked!

Jim