Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old May 1, 2003, 9:21 AM   #1

Default Sun & Clouds

Ok, other than the tree limbs at the bottom of the picture, what do you think for a newbie?

http://www.jacobfam.net/gallery/Misc...632_C_2003_NHJ

Taken w/Panasonic DMC-FZ1 for EXIF data click on "Photo Properties" in upper right corner" If you want to see the full size photo, just click the photo to resize.

PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2003, 5:16 PM   #2

Its a fine shot IMO, but the composition could be better...

The "lightlines" (dont know the word in english), which comes out of the sky shot have been in the top of the photo, because it would lead the viewers eyes through the photo. As it is now, the sky above the centerpoint (for the "lightlines") is uninterressting for the viewer. Do you get my point ?
And I think the shot has some sort of wrong tone - it could be a WB question - the whitecolor seems all darkgrey...hmm maybe its my screencalibration!!!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 8:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
Its a fine shot IMO, but the composition could be better...

The "lightlines" (dont know the word in english), which comes out of the sky shot have been in the top of the photo, because it would lead the viewers eyes through the photo. As it is now, the sky above the centerpoint (for the "lightlines") is uninterressting for the viewer. Do you get my point ?

Thank you

I agree that the top part of the photo (above the center point) is uninteresting. I could crop that out of the print. When taking the picture, if I excluded the sky above the sun by lowering the angle of the shot I would have got more of the trees, which of course I could crop them out as well.

Quote:
And I think the shot has some sort of wrong tone - it could be a WB question - the whitecolor seems all darkgrey...hmm maybe its my screencalibration!!!
Actually, the camera did a very good job of capturing as I saw it. The sky wasn't very vibrant. I later was playing around in "Picture It! Digital Image Pro" and sharpened the picture and the program added some color to the print and made the sky blue, but I wanted comments on the unedited print
Old May 2, 2003, 4:48 PM   #4

I hope you dont feel hurt. It was just my humble suggestion for improvement. Nobody says I'm right.

Shot like these ...of the sky...totally depends on their composition, because dramatic sky isn't that interessting after all as a stand alone shot!
Changing the composition would ofcourse include a cropping afterward.
The fine thing in your shot is flare breaking the sky, thats why cropping is needed. you have to lead the viewers eye to that point to get things right. I think.

I dont see that much difference between the two shots - my comments is the same.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 6:13 PM   #5

Not hurt at all, that's why I posted the picture, for critique.

I am very new to "serious" photography. After all, I just usually use a P & S 35MM or APS. I didn't get a DigiCam until late February.

You can see more pictures at: http://photos.jacobfam.net

Most of them are from a P & S. The Caribbean pictures and a majority of the pictures of my son are from both a 35MM and APS. I wish I had a DigiCam on the cruise!

There are some digital pix in the album marked "Misc."

We are expecting our second child in 2 weeks, so most of those pix will be digital.