Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old May 14, 2003, 2:26 AM   #1

Default Yet another snowmobile shot...

Shot this one Saturday on our last ride of the year . It was a gorgeous day, we rode in T-shirts. Finally had enough light to get the shutter speed up to the max 1/10,000 sec. The complete lack of motion blur almost makes the photo look funny. In the full sized image you can see no blur even on the fast-spinning track idler wheels. I'm used to a 35mm SLR with a 1/1000 sec max shutter speed; all I can say is WOW!

--------------->

Later,
Jim
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2003, 3:22 AM   #2

mmmm snow

forget the snow mobiles

get up there and ski down

:P
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 10:35 PM   #3

As a matter of fact, I do downhill ski as well. It most definitely is a kick! I'm not a great skier (just did my first black diamond this winter), so I'm probably not a qualified judge, but for me skiing doesn't hold a candle to snowmobiling on the 'ole fun-o-meter. Not even close!

Visualize it: You've just made the first track over the top of a steep climb. In the last 2 minutes, you've ascended over 800 vertical feet, burned 1/2 gal. of fuel, and your skis haven't touched the snow since the bottom. You've been riding the 151" x 2" paddle track all the way up, maneuvering the sled between rocks & trees by shifting your weight slightly on the rear ends of the running boards. At the top, you had to slow and turn abruptly to avoid going off the cornice on the other side. Now you're the "Big Dog", the only sled/rider to make it over the top (don't get used to it, someone will be along to kick your a** soon). Now you have to ride 3 miles down the ridge and another 3 miles back up the draw to get back to the bottom of the hill because you sure as h*ll aren't going back down it :shock: .

OK, back to reality . Here's a skiing shot for you:

------------->

Jim
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote