Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Other Photos

Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1

Hey everyone, had my rebel XT now for about 2 weeks, this is my 1st time shooting a photo at night. Took about 50 shots but this one turned out the best. The others had some weird reflection in the picture. I think i was under the street lights to much ... I should have tried it farther away. Anyway this is at ISO 100 and underexposed 2/3 of an f stop.
Attached Images

scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:17 PM   #2

Here's one that has that weird reflection. I have a UV filter on my lens. Maybe i should have takin it off. Oh well .. have to practice to learn.
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:02 AM   #3

Yep, the sensor reflects some of the light that hits it and then some of this reflects back in off the back of your filter, giving a ghost image. There is absolutely no benefit from using a uv filter when the sun is down and there is no uv light around. I'm not really sure why people use UV filters at all, except in haze. Your lens is physically much better protected by a hood and I've yet to see a camera damaged by UV light. With most lenses the combined thickness of the lens elements would block any uv from reaching the camera anyway so I guess the filter is to protect lens coatings. Anyone actually know?
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:49 AM   #4

I actually put a uv filter on to protect the lens. I was told to do this on my very 1st camera i bought years ago. I bought a Canon AE-1 from Blacks photography in town here and was told to do that. I assumed to do that to this one too... Maybe i will just get a hood. All though my daylight pictures turn out great. It's just the night time light that reflects off.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5

went out to the same place and i took off the UV filter. I got very little reflections this time. Also this pic is at ISO 400
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:15 PM   #6

Here's one of the arena now .. also at iso 400 and no filter
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:21 PM   #7

Shot looks good but I think you need to correct the color for the incandescent lights and fix the horizon a tad. Hope you don't mind but this is what the fix might look like..

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:42 PM   #8

Appreciate the comment but thats not what i'm after. All I was after in these shots was to get the reflections out of the picture. I did that by removing the UV filter on the lens.