Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Default Lumix 20mm f/1.7 grit underneath focus ring

I noticed this a while back but only recently has it become more noticeable. Basically on my Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens it feels as if there's fine sand or similar gritty materials stuck underneath the focus ring on the lens. It's not constant, that is when turning the focus ring around 360 degrees there are places where it turns smoothly but then also many places where I can feel grittiness. I can also hear it as the ring passes over the gritty spots and it just sounds like fine bits of sand stuck underneath the focus ring. Both autofocus and manual focus are unaffected but I'm afraid this may be something that will damage the lens over time.

I've had this lens since last November and have taken it to the beach once. It was rather windy that day with sand getting picked up by the wind and blown around but if I noticed any grittiness after that it was not nearly as much as now. Anyone else have this same problem and have any suggestions for fixing it? I do have a one year warranty for it, though I'm not sure if something like this would be covered. Also if anyone with experience knows of a way I can safely clean it myself then that would be great as well.
stephenbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links