Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:14 AM   #1
Default FD adaptor finally arrives too...

I had ordered an FD adaptor from eBay which finally arrived today.... I ended up with a Massa unit, which seems to be quite well made, and includes a rotating ring to stop down the aperture. It pretty much does what it says on the tin - lets me fit Canon FD lenses onto the front of my GH1!

I had won an eBay auction for a 50mm f/1.8 lens at only 20 a few weeks ago (the f/1.4s were - and still are - fetching double that), but I have only now been able to give it a try, and I'm really quite happy. This FD lens, which I guess could be 20-30 years old (?) seems to be sharper wide open than my old-n-sold EF 50mm f/1.8 mk II. Naturally it benefits from being stopped down a couple of notches, and I'm sure it will prove really useful in my kit, not least for 'talking heads' video work. A set of 3 FD extension tubes are on their way too (10!) so I'm looking forward to testing right-way-round-macro soon too!

Again, I thought I'd share a few terrible photos, just in case anyone is wondering how razor-thin the depth-of-field is wide open. Er, it's pretty thin......

ISO400 f1.8 1/160 AWB

ISO200 f1.8 1/125 AWB

ISO400 f2.8 1/80 AWB

I really do love my 20mm Pancake, but this little 50mm feels much better for manual focusing - I don't mind 'focus-by-wire', but having played with the FD lens for all of 5 minutes, it feels far more natural. For those wondering, the focus assist feature obviously isn't automatic, but it works perfectly with this adapted lens, and is activated by simply pressing the left-arrow button then menu/select. Easy.

I've obviously had my caffeine for the day, so I reckon hand-holding the 50mm at 1/80 isn't bad, although I'll be aiming to keep the shutter speed at or above 1/125 I think.

Off to try some video now!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links