Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic / Leica dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:15 AM   #1

L1 available in September here>>>

wihttp://www.kerrisdalecameras.com/store/product.asp?shopper_id=UHA06N104F2S9PASK5HNWWE78P3 Q0SSD&dept_id=5050&pf_id=471.85784&mor e=trueth

The B&H link I visited was $1999US. These prices are a lot higher than I thought they'd be. This is going to have to be one "rockin' " camera to cut into the world of Canon and Nikon. I really thought their entry price would be about $500 so they'd be able to compete with C and N. We'll see I guess....cheers....Don.

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:53 AM   #2

The Canadian price isn't that bad when you consider that most electronics retailers still mark things up like the old days of the $.65 Canadian dollar.

But this was ALWAYS going to be a high end specialty camera. As I've said before, the entry and mid level DSLR field is awash with cameras. Who needs ANOTHER also ran camera competing with Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung et al? Does Lotus build cars to compete with the Ford Mustang? It's possible to exist at the high end of the market building high quality products for the premium segment.

We knew this was coming with image stabilized, Leica branded lenses and features such as live view. I expected a $2,000.00 camera and that's exactly what we got. I don't think there was any cause to believeit would be much less than that.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote