Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:43 PM   #1

I may have missed it but I have not seen a single post here about the Leica V-LUX 1 Does anyone have an opinion about Leica comming out with what looks to be the FZ50 only with Leica tweaks? It kind of threw me and I don't even have the FZ50.

If the Leica camera is better for the tweaks they say they made and I purchased it, would I still be welcome, posting pictures on this forum? It'sstill a Leica lens. I feel like I know a lot of you and this could be a deciding factor. This is the best forum and people I'vefound and I don't want to look anywhere else.

Idid goto a Leica forum to see what was being said and the firstpost I read a guy got chewed out for improper paragraphs and punctuation. I can't even spell half the time and they might just be a little to uppidy for me.

Let me have it with your honest opinion. I've learned a lot from you people and your honesty is one reason.

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 8:57 PM   #2

There is quite a bit about the two cameras on DPreview but no one really knows yet what the differences will be. I am interested to know if there are any real differences myself. If the other forum is that uptight maybe you should continue posting cause they need someone help them get over themselves. I don't know what others would feel about a Leica user posting here although I do see some people posting non Panny pictures form time to time.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:37 PM   #3

it isnt released yet. Expected October 26.

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:19 PM   #4

Don, Since it's basically the same as the FZ50 except for software differences doesn't seem like it would make any difference if you posted it's pictures here! I for one would like to see them! :-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:14 AM   #5

in some of the remarks about the differences about the two camera's you'll find that the only difference is that leica has tweaked the software a bit. interested how they will tweak the raw format lol, Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:06 PM   #6

Hi Don

Firstly, you'll still be more than welcome - the FZ's owe a heck of a lot to Leica so I see no reason why any camera that uses a Leica lens can't use this forum. The Leica forum itself allows anyone to use the forum and post pics, etc etc as long as they are using either a Leica camera or Leica lens and that includes all of the pana FZ's and even Olympus/canon/Nikon DSLR's using the various Adapters for the R mount. So if I ever get my hands on a Digilux2 or LC1 or even a DLUX2 etc etc I'll be posting shots on the forum and more so once I get a PanaLeica Leica D lens for my E1 !

I not too sure what to make of the V-LUX1 and what leica have done. Sure its a rebadged FZ50 but this is the first time that Leica are actively saying that their versions of the Panaleica camera's are slightly different. That never happened with the LC1/Digilux 2, the Dlux/LC55 and the Dlux-2/LX1 no matter how hard people tried to work out any differences between the camera's. I think you may find that becuase of this Leica have had to make sure that there is some value add for the extra money (around 15% for the new camera's) other than the usual 2 year warranty+Adobe Elements 5.0 bundle. So this time they have stated that there are changes to the actual camera's themselves and not just a slightly different camera profile being used by the Leica version. How different its going to be is anyones guess - slightly different colour profiles, tweaked firmware with an option to turn NR off could possibly be options, etc etc. This can only be a positive thing for all pana users past and present but we'll have to wait and see.

Don, your right about the Leica forum being all proper but it is a pretty good source of information and photography. A few of them have already stated that they plan to buy the VLUX1 and thats something that I never thought 'd hear them say - actually a few of them already own FZ10/FZ5's and FZ20's.

:O :|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:44 PM   #7

just to add to what HarjTT says
a number of them seem to be getting Pana compacts too

Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:59 PM   #8

Being a smaller company, Leica Camera relies in this transition to digital on someone to provide them with sensors and software. They joined forces with Matsushita. The deal is apparently that Panasonic makes lenses, which can be called Leica only if they pass Leica's approval, and so they have really pushed the envelope and provided a nice result. Their 12x zooms blow away Nikon/Canon comparable products in terms of optical properties. We can only speculate how much Leica engineering is in these "Elmarit Zooms" with Mega OIS. In addition, since Panasonic sells Lumix cameras *because of Leica branded lenses,* Leica can pick some Lumixes, rebadge as Leica and sell them as such.

It is a fragile symbiosis, as it seems. Regardless the extra price for the Red Logo (The D-LUX 3 is approx 42% over price of DMC-LX2 for example) there will always be enough buyers who will pay it! Its a boutique brand, its like getting a Rolex watch, or a Bentley car for $400k. Thus we will always have snobs, but also serious photographers who like the traditional brand and trust that for what the camera is, in terms of color reproduction and quality of glass the best possible work has been done.

I like to have brand names by myself, whats wrong about being a snob? I will pay the $180 extra to have a "Leica D-Lux 3" without a problem. Since I do not like the FZ50, I will not take the V-LUX1 either, but the choice dilemma is the same.

PS: I was astonished to see remarks of the original poster about grammar and punctuation found in messages in a photography forum!! This person seems to be new to the web. People from around the glob communicate here, majority uses English as a second language only, proper grammar in their messages is irrelevant. It is not a good style to even mention this.

herthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:18 PM   #9

I ran across the pictures of the V Lux and it does show the back as having the Lieca name This was a question on another post I cannot find right now. This seemed to be a big deal to the person contemplating the purchase of the Panasonic clone for a 15% premiumAfter reading all the posts, pro, con and flames,* I find my choices a bit easier to make. I have a FZ20, which I love. Had Yashica's, Canon's, Kodaks, HP's and even the Sony Mavica FD91which was truly a* great camera for its time. I will look at Steve's reports on the Pentax K10 and V Lux. K10 is a compromise but looks to be the same sensor as the Nikon D80 but built better. V Lux may be built the same, different FW, but worth the extra bucks just because it allows you to post.flame on more than one forum I really have enjoyed the reading on this site.*
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:53 PM   #10

hi tom
its the same camera as FZ50 with some cosmetic changes
no doubt different software
and we expect the firmware is tweaked a bit
offering some slight changes to saturation and contrast while providing additional edge sharpness
and a much more generous warranty

thats the best guess anyway
its expected to be released in 12 days, we just have to wait and see