Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:45 PM   #1

I came across this article on Luminous Landscapes and immediately thought of teh Birders like Roger (aka The Hotel) and how nice Pana's been to use with the FZ's and 12x optical and I think with the 1.4x convertors we get pretty close to the 800mm in a lovely package. This monster or as its known the Sigmonster is shown below and from eth looks of it needs a sherpa or two to be carried around:

"The Sigmonster" is an 300-800 f5.6 lens and the lens below is a Canon 400 f4 L which looks just itsy-bitsy compared to that monster. I'm assuming its designed for a full sensor and if so on my E1 that would give a 600-1200mm optical zoom (not that I would ever been seen with either of those two lenses above!

You can read the full review here:

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:26 PM   #2

Great information. I would need to hire somone to carry that thing.

FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:27 PM   #3

You'd need a weapons licence too, for that bazooka...
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:46 PM   #4

that is one MONSTER lens, HarjTT! unfortunately, the FZ's, even with a TC, won't get anywhere near what that set-up offers. with a 1.4TC, my FZ20 comes out at just over 600mm.now, that's pretty darn respectable,especially in a compact package like the FZ (which is one reason i bought one!).when i was first starting in photography some 25 years ago,600mm was a very powerful lens,and 600mm telephotosfor SLRs were rare. zoomlensesthat powerful were almost unheard of, and generally wound up being roughly the size of a section of sewer main. times change... my Sigma 80-400, mounted on my 30D, turns into a 128-640, already more than my FZ with a TCON-14B can match, and yet weighs a "mere" 4.9 lbs, and fits into compact camera bag. with the 2x converter i plan to purchase for "birding" next spring, it will reach out to 1280mm, well over twice thepower of my FZ even with the TCON-14B mounted. that "Sigmonster" is 300-800mm, and although it's made for a full-frame body, if it's mounted on a 1.6 crop body like most Canon DSLRs, it becomes a 480-1280mm lens right outta the gate!if theuser putsa 2x converter behind it, it's a 960-2560mm behemoth! might be great for getting close-ups of a lion's eyelashes from 300 yards away, or perhaps taking clandestine photos at the local nude beach, but at 13 lbs just for the lens, i sure wouldn't want to haul that sucker around!!! not much danger of that, though... the Sigma 300-800 lists for about $5000 all by itself, and that's a lot more than i've got to blow on one lens! :G

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote