Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:07 PM   #1

Greetings everyone, I'm new to the forums here and this is my first post. But before that, I have to say that I have found Steve's DigiCams to be "the" place for reviews, answers, and info. I'm very thankful such a website exists with so much "real" technical info and honest opinions that are less subjective and more objective.

Please know I'm a bit of a tech-head when it comes to electronic stuff, but I've only just recently started taking in the tech-info about digital camers when I decided my HP R607 (4.1MP) does not have enough quality or features compared to the much newer models.

I've narrowed down my selection to three models because of near-similar prices and also ease of use as far as changing the camera's parameters.

Panasonic Lumix FX3 - 6.0 MP
Canon A630 - 8.0 MP
Kodak C875 - 8.0 MP

So here's my situation...I really like the new Lumix FX3 for a few reasons:
1) Easy to understand and navigate software menus, very intuitive.
2) The camera can focus super quick, much quicker than most in the price range.
3) It can take really super close macro images.
4) The LCD shows images that are crystal clear and sharp.
5) The Histogram shows on the LCD before taking the picture.
6) Image Stabilization

Now the Kodak C875 comes in a really close tie with the FX3 as far as the above mentioned list.

And the Canon A630 comes in last place, because it doesn't appear to be able to show a Histogram before taking a picture...this bothers me, but perhaps I'm getting too hung up on thinking I "have to" see a realtime Histogram of the picture I desire to take. But more info seems better to me.

My issue now between these three cameras is the psychological struggle with 6.0 MP vs. 8.00 MP...but I've already read online some articles suggesting that a well-built 6.0 MP could take better pictures than an 8.0MP camera, so it's not always good to get hung up on the numbers. At best, I may only print mostly 4x6 images, but thought I might also do some larger 8x10 on occasion.

Do any of you own these cameras and could offer advice or comments? Many thanks in advance...

Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links