Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:15 PM   #1

Looking for a new camera, pretty much zeroed in on a FZ50, possibly these other two. Considered a DSLR but don't want to lug around lenses. Don't want to have to feel the need to upgrade in 2-3 years. My main concern is the noise inherent in these type cameras at ISO above 200. Would Noise Ninja make the noise a non issue at ISO 400 and under? Very few of my photos would be larger than 8x10. Most shots would be natural light/nature/wildlife,( + family uses),so ISO at 800 would also be nice to be able to use.These cameras would fit nicely in my hunting backpack as well as hiking pack.Since I have an old(original owner) Minolta XG7, my 55mm filters and closeup lens would fit right in with the FZ50. I'm also thinking of waiting for the next model to see if Pana tackles the noise issue, and keep using my Dimage 5 and XG7. If anyone has used Noise Ninja, would it nulify the noise issues at ISO 400 and below? Thanks, great board!
mobil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2

I don't know about the other two cameras but there are several on this forum that have posted many photos with the FZ50. Check them out. The FZ50 does does a great job in your type photograpgh and does have in camera NR but most people leave it set on LOW and handle any noise in their computers later. I leave my V-LUX 1 (Leicas version of the FZ50 that most would agree is about the same thing) set at LOW and seldom have the need to use NR in post processing.

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote