Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:12 AM   #1

Hello, I'm looking for an external flash for a DMC-FZ30. I heard about the sunpak 383, but here in Holland the price of a sunpak is nearly that from an original panasonic DMW-FL28. So I wonder if tere is a difference between them. AndI want to know if an external flash does make a huge difference ...... (is it usefull to buy??).

jvdgriendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:39 AM   #2

An external flash does indeed seem to be worth the price to me.

The 383 has a guide number of 120 ft so you want to look for a flash that has a similar number ...that will allow the flash to work pretty well up to about 50 ft or so. You also want a flash with a tilt head and a swivel head would also be useful.

I am not sure what all you can find in Holland but I am sure you can find Metz flashes so something from Metz with the above features would be nice.

Also If you can get Vivitar a 285HV is a very nice flash.

You need a flash with a trigger voltage of less than 24 volts which almost any new flash will be within that.

Ifg you find older flashes you need to check that....most any flash will fire but since they can not work ttl with the FZ30 you need one with some adjustments built into the flash itself.

at time you can find Sunpak flashes on Ebay.....these are almost Identical to the 383 and can usually be picked up pretty cheap. Sunpak 383, 422, 433, 444, 30DX and 3600AF

Here is one I found on EBay( I know nothing about the seller) but it will work fine for you.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote