Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:37 PM   #1

I haven't seen many posts about the LX2. I guess the camera is still sorta new. Does anyone have a LX2 or know whether it's worth the money? Thanks!
Tiamet2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:59 PM   #2

I have recently bought a Panasonic LX2 and am enjoying using it. The camera comes in for criticism in most reviews because the noise levels at high iso (800-1600) are too high and the jpeg noise reduction is too agressive.

My take on it is this:

Yes, the jpeg NR is too agressive. If you are printing 6x4 or 7x5 prints, it probably doesn't matter. There is another option, shoot in RAW format which bypasses the in camera NR and is quickly processed to jpeg in the supplied software with good results. The camera doesn't need the 10MP that Panasonic have put on the sensor, but the noise levels 100-400 iso are no worse than those of my Canon A620 which never gets a negative comment. Expecting good high iso noise performance from a sensor like this is asking too much and Panasonic really shouldn't have made 800 & 1600 iso an option, still no one is forcing you to use these settings. I use my DSLR for high iso work.

So by shooting in RAW and processing in the computer, which is what I would do with my DSLR anyway, I get to use a unique camera wih the 16:9 format, a great lens (look at the crops in the pictures) and a wide range of advanced controls. As I like shooting landscape, it's the ideal camera, I guess that if you are into a lot of party shooting then another camera would be better.

Here are some of the first images that I took:

Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote