Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:31 PM   #1

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just ordered an FZ7, and it should arrive a day or two before my baby is born. With all the fuss about noise, I wanted to get advice ahead of time on how to get the very best shots in a low-lit hospital room. Afterall, I'll only have one chance to get his first couple hours captured, and no time to practice ahead of time.

What ISO? Shutter or aperature priority? Flash or no flash? White balance adjustment necessary? I'm brand new to digital photography, and haven't touched an SLR since photography class in high school-- so give me as much advice as you can think of! Thanks!
lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:03 PM   #2

Hi Lisa

In good light noise shouldn;t be a problem at all - stick to ISO100-200 and for best results teh lower the ISO the better. Personally I always shoot in Manual mode - just prefer the control it gives you. Other settings the early FZ's like my FZ10/20 would always slightly overexpose so it may be a good idea to just slightly underexpose by -1/3-2/3. Theres quiet a few here that have the FZ7, including Donna who I think can give you a better insight on how to get the best from it. I'd recommened gettng a good quality UV filter to protect that lens - Hoya Super Pro would be a good one to get.

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:16 PM   #3

:?Excuse me for asking, but who is having the baby and who will be taking the photos?:?I admire your spunk, if you are doing both:?. I would think that flash would be the best in a low-light situation. As Harjtt, says low ISO, and good light are needed indoors. Right now, it so gloomy and low light, I can't even get a decent photo outside.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I will be having the baby -- and taking the pictures. Though not at the same time. I suppose I could get my husband to take them, but he's even more clueless than I am (when it comes to cameras anyway). Another question about noise...Does it become a "non-issue" (or close) if you run the image through neatImage or similar noise reduction utility?

Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:47 AM   #5

lisamichelle wrote:
Does it become a "non-issue" (or close) if you run the image through neatImage or similar noise reduction utility?
Not always. For the indoor conditions you have specified, I would suggest you, as a begineer,should use the P mode (program AE), with flash wherever it doesn't hurt the baby or you. For example, the side pose or top angle should not affect the baby. However if youhave to photograph the baby's face from close, I would suggest youdo it with as much light in the room as possible but without flash. All the very best and hope to see you and your baby here soon! Here is an indoor shot of a new-born, where flash was a non-issue!
Attached Images
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:42 AM   #6

As Raghu said, use flash when it won't be hitting the baby's face.Incidentally, acouple (or more)thicknesses of facial tissue over the flash will help diffuse the light,usually resulting in more natural looking skin tone.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Additionally, I'd recommend turning on every light in the room, and opening all the blinds/curtains for those shots in which you don't want to use flash. Because of the variety of light sources that will result, I'd highly recommend manually setting the white balance.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good luck and congratulations on your new family member!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Drobie
drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7

The flash can be turned down. There is an up key on the touchpad. You push it a few times and get a flash setting. I would turn it quite low and look at the results and adjust as needed. It is a powerful flash at close range. The beauty of a digital camera is you can look at results right away and determine if settings need to be played with. If you do go for user controlled settings try S for shutter priority, set shutter speed for 1/60th or more with flash and see what happens. If picture too bright on a low flash settingincrease the shutter speed.

I would start with no flash though to see how they look.

Good luck and congratulations.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:40 PM   #8

Another possibility for the FZ-20 (perhaps the FZ-10 too)and above (those having a hot shoe) I have been told that Olympus brand flashes, such as the FL-20, FL-40, and FL-50 will work with a Panasonic hotshoe.

Is that true? It would sure be an easy solution, if it is true.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:39 PM   #9

Get a big card and take lots of photos......some with the built-in flash and some without the flash....IMHO I would set the ISO on auto and I think you will be quite happy with the results........My guess is noise will be a non issue.

One small tip is to make a diffuser for the flash.....it softens the light for close photos ....really does a nice job. And easy to make get a translucent aspirin bottle or film canister and cut the bottom out and cut a slit the length of the bottle and slip it over the pop-up flash.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:44 PM   #10

Thanks for the diffuser tip -- I bet I have a translucent bottle lying around heresomewhere...

Thanks to everyone else for all of their advice as well. Keep it coming!