Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:24 AM   #1
Default Indoor macros with FZ1

I'm VERY interested in this camera, it seems to have the features I've been looking for.

One thing I'm concerned about is the ability to get a good macro shot indoors. I sell on eBay and need to be able to get clear pics of jewelry, maker's marks on various things, etc. I do use a halogen lamp for lighting, and I'm thinking this may be sufficient to get good pics with the FZ1.

If someone has a link to macro shots taken indoors, I'd greatly appreciate it!
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:29 AM   #2

A quick test reveals that the best macro performance the DMC-FZ1 can achieve, without additional lenses, approximates to filling the frame with the face (one and a quarter inches) of a gentleman's size watch. The subject to front of lens distance is then about one and a half inches. (You can still get focus and slightly better magnification when the the subject is virtually touching the lens, but of course lighting the subject then becomes very difficult). At three inches lens to subject distance, the watch face is three quarters height of the image.

Assuming you can get sufficient light onto your subject (plenty of sunshine bouncing around the room here), "finding focus" doesn't seem to be a problem.

I guess the 2MP pictures will stand up to a little cropping for EBay pictures. Or maybe you might want to look into using close-up lenses (discussed briefly on earlier thread) if these magnifications aren't quite sufficient.

pgrau's "New FZ1 Gallery" (see thread below) has some close-up pictures of flowers and insects which may be of interest.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:25 AM   #3

Thank you norm... this camera definitely sounds like what I've been looking for!

Now to see if I can find it locally to get a hands-on feel! (I live in a rural area and shopping choices are limited.)
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote