Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:09 AM   #1

I have the FZ50 (no extra attachements) and can't seem to get these right.Thesubject is eithertoo far away or it is blurry. I've tried all the focus settings but I just can't get it right. I have also tried getting closer to the subject versus just zoomingin on it. I just feel like I am missing something.
stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:31 AM   #2

Hello Stacy

[align=center]Flight Checklist for Macro Photography[/align]
[align=left]1/ Set camera for macro (little flower icon).[/align]
[align=left]2/ Set zoom for widest angle of view. Many people think tele means close-up. Tele means distant things become closer. 300mm +/- are not ment to take pictures from 6" (+/-)[/align]
[align=left]3/ With the lens set on close up and the zoom at its widest compose your picture. If it does not come into auto focus move your camera closer or further as you may be a bit out of the close up range.[/align]
[align=left]4/ As it starts to make sense you can use some of the zoom in your close ups (you don't want to be on top of a insect and expect to always stay during your composition of the shot.[/align]
[align=left]5/ Rule of thumb etched in stone "wide angle close lets you get close, telephoto close up brings subject closer to you"[/align]
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:59 AM   #3

I am about the worlds worst Macro photographer but most of the above post is correct.

With the FZ30 and I would suppose the FZ50, you will get better results if you set the switch on the barrel to Macro AF and set the lens to less than 135mm you should then be able to get as close as you wish......but if you use more than 135mm you will need to be about 3 meters from the subject.

That is explained in the manual.....if you are going to get really serious you need to consider a macro lens.......something like the Raynox 150 or 250......or a Nikon 3 or4T or an Mcon 35 or 40 or a Canon 250......I am sure other folks can be more help with the macro lens selection.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:20 PM   #4

Both Bill and genece are right with their advice. I would add that, what method of shooting depends on both the size of your subject and how close you can get to it. Shooting a flower is different from shooting a butterfly which is different form shooting a tiny spider. Shooting a flower Bills method of getting close will work great. Shooting a Butterfly that is skittish you will need to zoom in to shoot or use a close-up lens that still allows you to be some distance from the subject (Nikon 3t). Shooting tiny subjects you will need a more powerful close-up lens like those genece mentioned. Also, camera settings and light play an important role in macro photography.
It might be easier for some here to help you if you would post one or more of your shots along with the settings used. There are some fantastic macro photographers on this forum that I am sure would be happy to help you along the way.

And, perhaps the most important thing, keep practicing and have fun.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:33 PM   #5

Something I would add to the excellent advice given already is that it isn`t necessary, or sometimes desirable to use the macro (flower) mode. The closer you get to the subject, or the more you zoom in, if using a closeup lens attachment, the more depth of field decreases so you want to maximise this by setting the F number to at least F8(I`m sure the FZ50 goes to F11, which is even better). The flower macro mode on the FZ20 automatically sets the aperture to F2.8 which isnt much use for a lot of subjects., I`d imagine it to be the same on the FZ50.
Both A and P modes will allow the same close focussing as the flower macro mode but will allow more scope to vary settings......particularly A mode.

(edit) just checked out the FZ50 on dpreview and it seems the macro(flower) mode is no longer used on that model. In which case I would stick to A mode, with a high F number to maximise depth of field as I mentioned above.
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:58 PM   #6

Awesome! So many good tips! I will work on it some more and post at some point what I come up with with your helpful tips!

stacy0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:02 PM   #7

Since you have asked about macro settings, with some success in macro shots without additional lens on my FZ3, I suggest the following:

1. In macro (flower) mode, stay as close to the subject as possible but DO NOT exceedzoom to more than 3X. Beyond 3X, some timesat 3X itself, you will get nothing but blur. At such times, just reduce thezoom to 2X. A good idea will be to compose the shot from a distance of sayabout 1 ft at 2x and if further magnification is required, then move towards the object to the extent required.

2. If your subject cannot be approached from near (for example any insect may sense your approach and fly away), you can stay away by at least 3 ft and still use the macro (flower) mode. This is called tele-macro. Here, you can zoom all the way to 12x.

Hope this helps you. All the best!

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote