Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1

All Shots handheld with full zoom and C-180 tele converter.

First, for WindRowe. 1/1000 second. Sharp twigs behind and before the bird. Who looks slightly blurry. At any size. They are just annoying birds.

Second, experimental Starling. 1/200 second. Tele macro. I was going for the background blur. Tomorrow or whenever I will try backing up a bit and using manual settings but I had only one minute to play today.

This guy went up right in front of me while I was looking for flickers. Note the blur across the back in the first shot due to a stick between he and me. I am so lucky it was not even with his head.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:51 PM   #2

Those cardinals may be annoying but I sure wish I had some to photograph. On the second shot I saw you shot at f5.6, try shooting wide open and see if that helps a little with blurring the background. I have no Idea what that last bird is but it sure is interesting looking with that long beak, big eyes and short tail.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3

Can only concurr with Ted. When you are shooting this long you need all the shutter speed you can get which means open up the aperture. I am amazed that at 1/1000 you still get that little bit of motion blur. It is obviously not camera shake, which is often my problem, as the twigs are sharp.

You got the background blur on 2 pretty well, I'd say. The secretseems to be the separation of subject and background.

Interesting brown colours on that last bird. Never seen anything like it down these parts.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:13 PM   #4

tcook wrote:
Quote:
Those cardinals may be annoying but I sure wish I had some to photograph. On the second shot I saw you shot at f5.6, try shooting wide open and see if that helps a little with blurring the background. I have no Idea what that last bird is but it sure is interesting looking with that long beak, big eyes and short tail.
Next time (assuming I plan it) I will have wide open aperture and faster shutter. I was just standing there waiting for my son and the starlings came. I was too close and just spun it to macro so I could kill a minute. This will be a baseline bird for me to work against.

That last bird is a Woodcock. The bird book says rather common but nocturnal. I have seen very few of them in my life. They hide in plain sight with that pattern and if one gets real close they explode in your face.

Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:13 PM   #5

nice shots peasant....yup tried some cardinals but came out blurry coz they alwasy among the branches and flit around a lot too.
i must say that sharing all this info is fantastic and a brilliant way to improve our shots.
no wonder the pany forum ROCKS
peter
heres one i shot but i was hiding in my van and couldnt zoom in any closer
FL 72MM....F/4.6......1/1000s.....iso 100.....meter pattern...exp -1 step

Attached Images

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:18 PM   #6

rafinmelb wrote:
Quote:
I am amazed that at 1/1000 you still get that little bit of motion blur. It is obviously not camera shake, which is often my problem, as the twigs are sharp.
Cardinals are made of fluff. This is an old one on flickr. Click on it to see a version too wide for here and you can see the body feathers are basically down. Which blows and quivers in the slightest breeze. Which, combined with their hyper-active twitchy nature, is why they blur so easily. (That's my theory anyway.)

Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:35 AM   #7

Nice shots of the Woodcock Happy....not an easy bird to spot let alone photograph. The twig crossing the bird`s back on the first pic is so barely noticeable it doesnt spoil the image at all.
Starling`s have amazing colours if you capture them in the right light.......gorgeous green and purple sheens.
Re background blur, Neat Image can do a good job of blurring the background more if you think the shot requires it.

Mark
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:22 PM   #8

Thanks for the cardinal picture, Happy. He has a most imperious look about him !!! Hardly seems blurry at all to me.
What a great thread you have started here .. full of useful info.
Enjoyed your other bird shots too.
It is grey and gloomy and threatening to snow here in Toronto. The birds are smart and staying out of the damp and cold (like me).
Will try more bird shots, armed with the advice you have all given once it warms up again.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:56 PM   #9

I thought woodcocks were ducks with the crazzy mating ritual of jumping into the air and the bird pictured was a brown creeper :?I could be wrong though.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:13 PM   #10

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
I thought woodcocks were ducks with the crazzy mating ritual of jumping into the air and the bird pictured was a brown creeper :?I could be wrong though.

BiLL

:|
I think the duck you are referring to are Wood Ducks. Brown creepers are tiny little birds that creep up tree trunks. The picture below is a brown creeper. He is not quite as in focus as the tree trunk. For some reason the camera did not want to lock onto a 4.5 inch bird 20 feet or more up when that big trunk was there, and these birds spin around the trunk much too fast to mess with manual focus.