Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:18 AM   #1

Help please - I have just taken a load of video (about 20 mins total) comprising about 8 clips, they play fine in the camera, but when transferred to my PC they have a file extension .MOV, and nothing I have will play them.

I want to stitch them together and render back as an MPEG, this is what I am used to doing with the video clips that my Canon A620 used to create, before it was stolen.

I have Ulead, Roxio and Microsoft movie editing packages and not one of of these will allow the clips to be imported.

I tried converting them using MP4CAMAVI program, and although it allows me to select the clips as my source, when I try to output them I get nothing - the program seems to do something (something that takes less than second), but when i check the output file location there are no new files there.

Help appreciated.

Guy
guygamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:09 AM   #2

The movies are in the Quicktime format.......you can view them with the free version of Quicktime......

To edit them you either need Quicktime pro or one of a dozen or so free converters to change to a format you are comfortable with so you can edit them.

I never take the movies so someone else will need to advise you what works well and what does not.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:03 AM   #3

OK, thanks. Yes Quicktime plays them, but thats not good to me, I need to edit them together, and as mentioned I have three video editing packages which I have been using to do this with other formats, but they do not support Quicktime.

So I tried MP4CAMAVI, and got nowwhere converting them, then I tried Cinemaforge, with a little more success.

Converting to MPEGs - works but no audio comes across, they output file is mute

Converting to WMVs - works with audio, and windows media player will play the file, but when I try to import the clip in to Windows Movie Maker or Ulead Video Studio, it tells me the file is not indexed and refuses to import it.,

This is doing my head in - how can Panasonic use a format that is basically Apple's and far from universal, so making so hard for me on a PC to edit my own movies?

Hopefully someone here will have an answer that works.

Guy
Old Nov 16, 2007, 9:44 AM   #4

Well when tried the movie feature I used Bink and smacker.......google--- Radtools

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

Perhaps this thing some recommend it but some also recommend what you tried.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:30 AM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
Well when tried the movie feature I used Bink and smacker.......google--- Radtools

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

Perhaps this thing some recommend it but some also recommend what you tried.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
the Bink and Smacker program wouldn't produce anything that work in my video editing programs as source, in fact I could even get the convert function to produce anything that WMP would play..

BUT SUPER from erightsoftw, is fantastic. It worked perfectly, is a doddle to use, has lots of pop up help explaining all the jargon and options that come with video encoding/decoding, it produced beautiful looking AVI files (I selected AVI with DV formt video and linear audio). These clips then imported in my video editing packages, i edited them together and rendered the finished project back to disk as an MPEG, I will now delete the original files from the Panny, and the AVIs.

I chose AVIs (DV format) cos that is what my digital 8mm camera provides when captured by Firewire, and I know those files work fine.

Slight off topic, but in case anyone cares

Editing together AVIs, and rendering the project back as an MPEG is what I have been doing with nearly 20 years worth of accumulated camcorder tapes (done about 40 tapes so far), so I have a nice library of family videos available on demand. these sit in a dedicated directory on an additional hard disk fitted to my PC, which then is available via my network to a DVICO TVIX M5000 media player in my living room, so my family can enjoy on demand any media in the PC including those MPEGs without fiddily around with camcorder tapes wires, etc etc. My whole family now regularly enjoy a good laugh looking at these videos instead of watching rubbish on TV!.

Regarding this experience with the Panny, all his was far too much hassle, I will continue to use my Digital 8mm camcorde for videoing!!! At the time - I chose Digital 8 cos the same camcorderwill playback all my previous 8mm and Hi8mm tapes to the firewire output, and that is how I have been archiving my legacy tapes.
Seems there is life in the old Sony Digital8mm camera yet.
BTW, in the professional broadcast market, Panasonic champion shooting directly to memory cards (P2 format), and emphasise speed of workflow. On the consumer models my experience is however that the workflow was awful.

File transfer from SD card - no faster than real time. In fact I think it was slower.

Then file conversion to something usable - speed depending on quality of program. SUPER © - by eRightSoft was slow but lovely output quality

then finally of course edit and save back to PC as MPEG.

Thanks for the help

ROLL ON SUPER © - by eRightSoft