Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1

We are deep into the snowboarding/skiing season here in Japan, and it has been snowing more than usual this year. Thought I would share some of my experiences with the Pany forum:-). I have had my FZ30 for over two years now and I am still amazed at what a good camera it is. It has performed flawlessly in sub-zero temperatures, been dropped and landed on when I've not landed so gracefully...

Snow covered trees.

Fresh, untouched powder - snowboarders/skiers dream:-)

Some winters the trees are completely encased in snow, creating what is called a "juhyou" in Japanese. This roughly translates into "snow monster." I had a bit of a problem of over exposure, but I think this one came out alright.

Friends. This is actually a composite of twolandscape shots, one on top of the other.

Some tricks.

This shot was pure luck.

Taking off

Comments and suggestions welcome as usual!
fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:00 AM   #2

Nice captures,sharp andclear. Are you using the "Snow" setting in your camera or manual? It seems your exposure varies from one shot to the other.

I have to agree with you about the quality and performance of the FZ30. I thinkthe FZ30 is one ofthe best cameras Pana has produced.

Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 4:53 PM   #3

fabulous shots
esp the ones in flight
also loved the snow capped trees
had lotsa snow in toronto too
took some shots
if they turned out ok i will post
keep on boarding and shooting
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. Macnite, I was using aperture and manual mode, but I don't remember on which ones. I was playing around with the red/blue balance but forget to set it back to normal for some shots, hence the difference in snow color.

Would like to to see those Toronto pics, if you get a chance, post them. I always liked Toronto, way back when I visited it as a kid.:-)
fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:49 PM   #5

I like these shots. Even allowing that snow always looks better when belongs to someone else they are impressive. I think I would break my camera if I were to go up a mountain with it.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:35 AM   #6

Fantastic images. You can certainly be proud of your FZ30. I don't think it is available any more, so keep yours safe!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:58 PM   #7

I hear they have had lots of snow even in Toky this year! Marvellous captures...especially like the one wiht the guy flying past the trees!

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote