Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 24, 2003, 4:38 PM   #11

thanks fmoore
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:08 PM   #12

Hi v1pOn3.

You probably know by now that at 9.2oz a TCON-17 is heavier than yer average standard 35mm SLR lens. Then again, I understand people tend to support its weight with their hands rather than expect the adaptor to do so; this probably wouldn't be the natural procedure for tripod based macro work. Not sure I'd risk the adaptor with anything heavier than one of those "pancake" Pentax 40mm f2.8 lenses or perhaps a Zeiss 50mm f2.8 Tessar.
I suppose a set of close up lenses or maybe an Olympus MCON-40 is the most obvious way to go for this type of work, but thought it would be fun today to try out your suggestion.
I used a handheld reversed 135mm and 50mm SLR lens. The 135mm allowed 3+ and the 50mm 4+ times (linear) the magnification I could achieve with the camera alone. The 135mm allowed a substantial lens to subject distance too.
Photographing a flat subject, I found the sharpness pretty good over the whole field particularly with the 135mm. There was slight and easily correctable vignetting (darkening) at the corners. Next I adopted your procedure by finding a very immobile insect to test on. Here the problems of extremely limited depth of field became apparent. Two examples :
In the lower magnification picture, the perforated stamp edge diagonal in the foreground is about half an inch in length. Maybe these magnifications and lens to subject distances are asking a bit too much as regards depth of field. The results on flat objects, however, impressed me.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:47 PM   #13

Originally Posted by fmoore
The plastic adapter that comes with the fz1 is strong enough to hold the olympus tcon17 teleconverter which is pretty heavy. There is a problem, however. The threads in the receiving end of the adapter start too deep into the adapter too get a secure connection. Remove about .5mm of plastic with sandpaper to get a good tight fit. Another fix is to screw a 55mm uv lens into the adapter and connect any additional filters to that. That has the added virtue of protecting the lens.

At the first time I try to fix TCON-17 with my FZ2, it can fix only one thread and easy to loose out. After romove 0.5 mm as your suggestion it good tight fit!!

Thank you & God bless!!!

Thailand :shock:
attapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 7:21 AM   #14

Originally Posted by fmoore
It would be nice if they had pictures of the item(s). Is this the same tube adapter that comes in the FZ1 box?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:13 AM   #15

This is a perfedctly valid and time-honored way to achieve decent macro inexpensively. DO take care with your threads, keep the camera steady (tripod?), and stop down for best results.

There are also + diopter lenses available, as well as two element ones (more expensive) that are EXCELLENT.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jack Winberg

i have tested to put a 50mm lens reversed in front of my fz1 and i get some cool results for macro pictures, but i wanted to know if anyone are using this method for macro with this digicam.>>
jack.winberg@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote