Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:12 PM   #1
Default FZ1 macro question for Panasonic Bob

I wonder about the macro function of the FZ1. The macro setting is pretty good for close-ups at wide angle but becomes less useful as zoom is applied and is totally ineffective at full zoom. This is more or less what the manual indicates will happen though it still seems a little strange.
However, more confusingly, I have taken non-closeup shots at wide angle (and on through the zoom range) while inadvertently leaving the fz1 in macro mode with no discernible effect on focus. In other words, the results were the same as if the camera had been in normal mode. I would expect the camera not to focus on an object 20 ft away in macro mode. What is going on? Why not just leave the camera in macro mode and forget about "normal" mode? Or why not just include the macro function in the normal setting at the production end.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:00 AM   #2

Our of Macro mode the camera can focus pretty close when the lens is at the "W I D E" setting so that explains why you get "almost" macro mode performance.

Macro is designed to be used with the lens in the widest setting. In most cases, moving the zoom tighter will not allow the camera to focus correctly. When I originally questioned this it was explained that in Macro mode the depth of focus is very shallow. Zooming will only decrease it and make shooting very difficult. Inditectly they wewre saying that while in Macro it's better to move the camera closer than to try and zoom in.

Hope this clears up the confusion (no pun intended)
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:08 PM   #3

I wish to confirm the comment that the FZ1 seems to work well at any distance when in the Macro mode. In fact, I find that the focus in low light appears to be better in Macro than in Normal when more than 30 feet from the subject.
Karl Norris is offline   Reply With Quote