Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:35 PM   #1

I have a fairly new FZ18 and want to protect its lense.

Am I correct when I say that any ol 46mm clear lense can be screwed in the end of the FZ18 barrel ? And left on at all times ?

What do other FZ18 users use to protect your lense ?

I found the stuff below .. but that setup seems to bebulky - not to mention expensive.

PurpleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:20 PM   #2

Although I don't have a Pemaraal adapter for this camera, I did have a smaller (but just as expensive) one for my FZ7 and they have their uses. Your lens is sealed away from dust and sand which might stick to the barrel and go into the camera. Not to mention moisture. I use my camera in extreme conditions and those are considerations for me.

I don't worry too much about it as I have a TCON-17 and an adapter on the camera most of the time. When the tele converter comes off I put a 46mm filter on the tip of the lens right away. When I do Renaissance Faire photography this summer (very dusty) I will leave the adapter on and put a filter on the end of it. Cheaper version of Pemaraal. Unless I buy one of those. With what I have now I lose a wee bit of the wide angle due to vignettiing, but nothing else.

I have a one inch spacer tube from camerafilters.com. $6.21 plus shipping.

And a 55.8mm to 55mm step-ring from Pemaraal. $10.00 plus shipping.

The step-ring screws to the camera, the tube goes on that. As mentioned, I use this with a TCON-17. I do have a 55mm to 52mm step-ring I have used on the end of the tube as my macro lenses are 52mm. With the set up I use if there is a filter on the lens of the camera it bangs into whatever I have screwed onto the end of the tube at full zoom so I need to take it off. But with a filter at the end of the tube I don't need one on the lens itself.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote