Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:55 PM   #1

At the end of July it will be 1 year since my fractured knee and torn tendon. I have been out commission (hospitals and inpatient therapy and now out patient therapy).

I have always enjoyed the Kodak and the Panasonic forms. What made these 2 forums so interesting was the high ratio of thread posts and feed backs generated.

Now that I am back I notice that most of the camera forums are reflecting a 5% or less amount of feed back.

I am not pouting over not having any feed back to my threads or to the various other threads but a forums life span is based on its participants sharing of input which goes beyond just posting your own issues and images.

This could be the results of a big turnover of participants. A loss of those with the desire to share ideas and opinions be replace by a breed of those that only want to be heard.

A forum is only as good as out put.

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:02 PM   #2

I couldn't agree with you more Bill. There are some of us still around that like to contribute and share pictures and info but as you said, there is no response, nointerest.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:46 AM   #3

The Forum will only be as good as we make it with our personal input.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:57 PM   #4

Point to ponder.....

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:31 AM   #5

I agree, these forums are pretty slow. I check this one, DCresource and DP review. All are in the summer doldrums. I doubt that much will change until a new camera comes out with some interesting features.

The CAF problem with the TZ5 got a lot of play and apparently was at least partially responsible for a firmward update by Panasonic.

One thing that bothers me is when a question is posted and gets no response for days. Personally, when I see this happening, I'll usually submit some sort of answer if only to tell the poster of a more active forum that discusses his topic.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:13 AM   #6

I joined the forum, way back in 2004 when I bought FZ20, getting sound advice on 'What Camera......'. What I like about this forum ( Particularly panasonic) is that more posts are about sharing the photographs rather than troubles and technicalities. May be panasonics are less troublesome than others.:G

I could not develop the skill too much so I do not contribute but always make it a point to visit to have a look at some high quality interesting stuff from non professionals. It gives me optimism that what others can do, I can also try.

Some of the old timers are still sticking to the forum even after moving on to DSLRs. May be they also enjoy the pictures posted here.

Long live the forum......!
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:07 AM   #7

Activity does not necessarily indicate success or quality of forums. On the other hand, I think it certainly shows the interest of those on the forum.

If you want an active Panasonic forum check http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033. But, as can be expected, not everything that's posted is "golden". I know, I just posted there five minutes ago, myself. :roll:

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:09 AM   #8

Try the extremely healthy 'Biweekly Shootout' forum http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=85 where there's lot & lots of friendly feedback, and it gets you out and about with your camera. We're on "Near/Far" at present.

Why restrict oneself to particular makes & models of camera? 'Landscape Photos' is also alive and well, and helpfully critical.

It's a bit the same in musical circles, where one meets two distinct groups, music enthusiasts, and musical instrument enthusiasts, but also plenty of folk who are both, but are primarily concerned with the output, and the communal aspects.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote