Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2008, 5:11 PM   #1

I'm hoping I've had this resolved with a firmware upgrade, but has anyone else come across this? In manual exposure mode, I was not always, but often having the mode menu display, and the camera change to a Custom mode setting. This caused the colour temperature, focus, exposure settings just set up to be changed. It would occur upon pressing a focus button or joystick, or moving the zoom lever.

Another problem was on some other occasions, some manual white balance shots came out looking like a green filter had covered the lens. ThisI am hoping has been resolved by the firmware upgrade.

snooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:31 AM   #2

I find the FZ18 in fact all the FZs very good at auto WB.......I almost never fool with the WB.....Incadesent light can Be a problem but I change that in an editor...about the only need I find for RAW.

I find the Joystick really difficult to use and some buttons poorly placed ( and easily changed, when I had no wish to do so) my guess is that is your problem.........but I also find almost no need for full manual shooting. The camera is much smarter than me, if given the chance.

The above is only my opinion, but perhaps something to pay attention to in the future.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:18 PM   #3

Genece - the fact is, the camera should not be having these errors. Yet it is. The modes should only be 'changeable' by turning the dial, yet they are changing randomly when buttons are pressed. By the way, I have found today the firmware upgrade has not resolved the problem. As for the manual white balance, when it works, it's beautiful compared to AWB - far better, saving post-production tinkering. Manual override is the reason I chose the FZ18.

snooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:25 AM   #4

I guess that is why they make so many different types of cameras......After using a FZ30 and a DSLR......I have a hard time considering the FZ18 anything other than a P&S. But I am quite happy that you and many others, find the FZ18 much more useful as a serious camera than I do. IMHO it takes great photos when used as a P&S and almost no increase in quality when used in manual mode. I guess that may have a lot to do with my lack of talent.

I really hope there is a FZ60 that keeps thesize and usabilityof the FZ30 with some of the newer technology of the FZ18. But no joystick or extending lens and if that means forgoing the WA end ,so be it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:24 PM   #5

snooper wrote:
Quote:
Genece - the fact is, the camera should not be having these errors. Yet it is. The modes should only be 'changeable' by turning the dial, yet they are changing randomly when buttons are pressed. By the way, I have found today the firmware upgrade has not resolved the problem. As for the manual white balance, when it works, it's beautiful compared to AWB - far better, saving post-production tinkering. Manual override is the reason I chose the FZ18.

There was a time when my camera would switch from Aperture Priority to Program Mode withouth any help from me. I think I had a wee bit of sand in the mechinism. Thankfully, it stopped doing that.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote