Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:59 PM   #1
Default OIS in Z10 - Panasonic Bob

I note a your comment in a post regarding the FZ1 - Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:18 am
"obviously, I'm biased.. but seriously...
If you've ever shot with a 35mm camera and L O N G lens you know it's difficult. Our stabilizer was designed to minimize the human jitter that occurs when using a long lens. The OIS maximizes at shutter speeds of 1/125 or faster so it's not designed to allow you to take hand held shots at very low light levels."

I am VERY interested in the FZ10 - presently use Canon 10D with 2 IS lenses but I prefer the silence of a digicam. Unfortunately my major interest in hand held shots in low light. I would expect to use the FZ10 at approx 1/10 to 1/20 sec at f2.8 ISO 200 sometimes 400.

Do you know if the OIS of the FZ10 is useful at 1/10 to 1/20 sec ?

(Note I use NeatImage regularly, noise is not a factor). I have printed the samples from the Panasonic site and they print wonderfully.

Thank you if you are able to comment on the usability of the OIS at 1/10 to 1/20 sec.
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:54 AM   #2

Our OIS system is designed to peak at 1/125th of a second. The amount of correction it can offer is "fixed", so as the shutter speed gets longer the amount of OIS will decrease.

At extended times, digital stabilization works better, BUT you have to accept the image degradation. In designing the FZ1 and FZ10 our priority was given to maintaining quality so OIS was chosen over DIS.

Yes, you will some some improvement, but not as much as would be realized at higher shutter speeds.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote