Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2003, 5:31 AM   #11

Thanks Bob for your comprehensive reply. I really hope the guys in Japan listen to your requests.

As always you input is much appreciated.

dres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:39 AM   #12

Originally Posted by Panasonic
I strongly agree, but if the manual is too technical it also generates a lot of fall-out to our call center. The manual must be a fine mixture of information presented in a way so as not to confuse the beginner.
Olympus sent a fairly simple manual with my C50 and made the reference manual available online. You can just save it on the computer as a PDF or print it and put it in a binder. There is a big difference between wanting to make it simple for the beginner and not providing the information at all. Minolta included the full reference manual with my D7i but I prefer the PDF.

There is a workaround for every feature someone might think is missing except standard JPG as the only way to extract the pictures. You can see the difference between JPG and non-compressed files in Phil Askey’s blow-ups of test patterns. You would be hard pressed to see the difference in normal viewing, but the artifacts are there and the detail is a little lower. If you work with the image a lot you enhance those artifacts until they are a factor. Super fine seems doable even if raw isn’t. Normal JPG as the only file type seems like a bad sign that Panasonic doesn’t really think of the FZ10 as a camera for advanced users.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote