Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1

Ok, I have been racking my brains trying to decide bw the TZ50 vs. the TZ5 models and am trying to understand if the price differential is justified?

From what I could research the biggest difference is that the TZ50 has a wifi capability. Other than than is there any big difference in performance between the two models?

I am leaning towards the TZ5 model, but don't want to pull the trigger only to find out the TZ50 is better re: performance and having more features.

Can someone help me decide?!?!?!!!?!!

Thanks very much
ebypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:31 AM   #2

I have a TZ-1

My girl friend has a TZ-5

Not sure which lens the TZ-50 has but......

My TZ-1 with 5mp has a Elmarit which is sharper then the Elmar on the TZ-5 despite the 9mp.

Both lenses are very good but a Elmarit is sharper.

On the Leica 35mm camera there was the famous 90mm 2.8 Elmarit which was tack sharp even at full open (f 2.0 Those that were not upto Leica standards were made to a maximum f stop of f4.0 and were called Elmar 90mm f 4.0 which were very good at wide open f 4.0

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3

As far as I know, the TZ50 is the exact same thing as the TZ5 with the addition of WiFi.

And, again, as far I know, the WiFi function allows you to upload (at much slower speeds than a card reader) to photo sharing websites like Picasa. It does not, from the tiny amount of online documentation that I have been to find, allow you to upload to your own WiFi-enabled computer.

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote