Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:37 PM   #1

Hi folks,

I'm new to digital photography and I'm enjoying my FZ18 immensely. However, the noise in some (but not all) of my photos is annoying, even at ISO100. Is there any way to upgrade the FZ18's image processor to the FZ28's?

Alternatively, would you mind sharing yourfavourite FZ18 settings for exposure, contrast, sharpness, and noise reduction?

If I seem too picky, don't be afraid to tell me that as well (see first sentence).

Thank you!

BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:28 PM   #2

Unfortunately, processor's cannot be switched out or upgraded. Every once & a while a company will put out a firmware update to fix a miscellaneous glitch in a camera, but that's about it.

I've not used an FZ18 so I'm not sure what would be a "good" set of parameters for you to use. I have used an FZ8 and just received an FZ28, but similar settings don't necessarily produce the same type results from model to model. You might want to go to the Panasonic forum over at DPReview. It is heavily visited and there's always ongoing posts about the FZ18. You'd likely get several responses.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:23 PM   #3

Thanks Greg. I did manage to find quite a few threads on DPReview, so my next task is to try them out. The settings that were recommended to me (i.e. the ones that resulted in more noise) were quite a ways off from the average on DPReview so that may have been a factor.

Plus, I probably am too picky about my non-dSLR.

Still, I'm learning a lot from using my FZ18; I figure this "exposure" ;^) will serve me well when I decide to upgrade my gear.

Thank you for your response.

BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4

i had the fz28 bought for me as a gift the camera has gone back even though it was a gift i feel that the fz18 is a better camera .
Yes the iso maybe slightly better but i have tried the fz18 with the picture setting to +2 noise and the +1 contrast and the black writing seems darker to me and i found that the auto white balance is not as good as the fz18 either.
The eye piece is half the size of the fz18 somthing that you would get used to in time and use.
It seems to have more blow outs like in the clouds etc whether its maybe a faulty camera or not i dont know.
so im sticking with my lovely fz18
jeanette62 is offline   Reply With Quote